Saturday, December 11, 2010

BOX BREAK: 2009/10 Ovation Tin

I'm a sucker for a deal. When I see something priced for a lot less than it should be, I tend to lean in and take a look. Sometimes I even jump.

Tonight I was doing some Christmas shopping for my niece and nephew at Walmart. While strolling up and down the toy aisles, I came across the hockey card section. They had a sale.

A number of blaster boxes were between 10 and 50% off. I noticed tins of Upper Deck Ovation were on for $10 and thought I'd give one a shot.

They had a bunch of 2008/09, but there was one tin hidden underneath that was from 2009/10. That one would be mine.


2009/10 Upper Deck Ovation
Series 1 of 3
50 card tin

I looked at this tin as 10 5-card packs. So essentially, a buck a pack. Not bad. But what really sold me was the info on the front sticker - Find Rare Signed Versions! OK......I will!


The base cards look really nice. I like the design and the player cutout and borders are embossed and glossy. They just look really nice.

By the way, the cards came in one big 50 bunch. No packs. The positive...no doubles.


The photo selection is pretty good. Old uniforms, third jerseys, and some crisp photography really help.

There was some good player selection in my bunch as well. While the Crosby's and Ovechkin's are always welcome, it was nice to see some rookies in there as well (even if I didn't land any of the big names).


The front of the tin had a window indicating the Ovation Spotlight card you would be receiving. Mike Green...works for me. I like the idea of having an insert card made available and while knowing ahead of time is a bit of a double-edge sword, I look at it as a bonus to the tin.

Not as much of a bonus as the next card...


BOOM! That's right. I hit an auto. And the hometown 'hero' at that. Now I don't know how rare these cards are or how tough they are to pull, but to land an Iginla auto in a $10 tin is a pretty darn good deal to me.

What can I say....I'm a sucker for 'em.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on landing an Iginla autograph... that's one sweet pull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 50 cards, one a superstar auto all for $10 bucks. Can't go wrong. I like how UD actually used the team colors in the background of the cards. Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pull.....!!!!!!! This is a big bang for your buck...!!! Congrats....

    ReplyDelete
  4. you sir, are a bastard! ;) j/k... nice pull....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete