Thursday, December 9, 2010

STASHED IN THE CLOSET - Islanders Sportrophys

A couple of cool Islanders pieces were found in the closet recently. I got these from an ebay purchase along with a bunch of other oddball stuff.


This Glenn 'Chico' Resch Hockey Heroes 'Autographed' Stand-Up/Stick-Up Sportrophy figure is pretty cool if I do say so myself. It measures about 8 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches and is made of a nice thick sturdy cardboard.

Licensed by the NHL and NHLPA and released in 1975, these figures have a perforated outline and can be removed and placed in the base (upper left) or can be stuck to you wall (the adhesive on the back is still there....but doubtful it would work very well.

The old school fibreglass mask sucked me right in and put the lot of oddball stuff over the top in the 'want it' pile.

When I received the box, I was happy to find a second figure.


Bryan Trottier....no slouch.

Now I haven't been able to get much info on these items. I know that there are 5 (I think) Islander stand-ups, 5 Philadelphia Flyers 'World Champion' stand-ups and I've also seen a Bobby Orr one.

I'm surprised how cheap you can find these for. Just a few bucks on ebay and these can be yours apparently.

These ones are staying in the collection for a little while still. Part of me wants to set them up to see what they are like.

7 comments:

  1. No....just packed to the gills. With some spillage out onto the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how much are they worth? I have the french connection stand-ups like that and can't find any info on them at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure how much they go for in hobby shops (if you can find them at all), but I am seeing an unopened set of five Islanders players for $25.

    I'd say $5-10 per player depending on the guy. Someone like Bobby Orr would go for more (I'd bet $40).

    For the French Connection guys, I'd say $10 each max would be fair. That is if they are still intact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks..I knew I had them and dug them out when rick martin died..those standups were pretty awesome back in the day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I just found these 2 sets of the 6 Islanders standup packages still in their plastic wrap mint condition that my father had purchased back in 1976. What are they worth now to a collector?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I'm not too sure what they go for these days. I guess it would depend on the players and overall condition (although I would assume they are mint since they are still wrapped).

      I would check ebay for completed sales...might be your best bet. Thanks.

      Delete