Friday, January 27, 2012

1 vs. 100 - "2-1+24+2=2......minus 1"

About a year ago, I came across probably the toughest card to track down for my 1 vs. 100 project.

While some of you might think that it would be the 1/1, you'd be wrong. The oversaturation of cards /1 makes them not only easy to find....but relatively cheap.

Plus, I already had the /1 in my collection even before I started this project.

No, for me it was the card /2 that caused me the most concern.

After all, how many cards out there numbered /2 would have lesser known players on it and/or not cost an arm and a leg.


I did find one such card. For the past year it has become one of my favorite acquisitions for this pc.

Shortly after purchasing this card and showing it off on my blog, I received an e-mail from a collector who focuses on enforcers. He was very interested in the card and asked if I would be willing to trade it. I said no problem.....as long as it would be replaced for another card /2.

A few months went by and then I received another e-mail from the same person. He indicated that while he tried to track down another card /2, he didn't have any success (too expensive). He also indicated that he was restructuring his collection and was no longer interested in the card. No prob. I'll hang on to it.

Fast forward to about a month ago. I received yet another e-mail regarding this card and I made the same request for a card in return. This time though, there was a much better chance of a trade actually going down.

There have been a number of cards /2 released in this year's Artifacts release. Coming across a suitable card for trade was much more likely - as well as affordable.

Last week, I received an e-mail saying that a card has indeed been bought and was on its way. It showed up today.


2011/12 Upper Deck Artifacts
Patch/Tag
#32 Kris Versteeg /2

This suits the bill nicely. So I will be packaging up the Orr/Carkner this weekend and shipping it off.

While I'm a little sad to see it go, I am more happy that this card (and this project) has created the opportunity for someone else to land a pretty darn rare card for their collection (really rare since I know the other copy of the card is gobbled up in another person's pc).

Note: If anyone out there wants to trade for the Versteeg, I have no problems doing so.

What was really cool was that in addition to the Versteeg, this card was sitting in the envelope.


2008/09 Upper Deck The Cup
Gold Rookie Auto
#75 Jonas Frogren /24

To be able to gain this card for the project was huge. It was such a kind gesture (as I was just looking to trade one-for-one straight up).

It's another unique card to the collection and a tougher one at that.

Thanks again for the trade Sean. I'll have your card in the mail this weekend.

81 out of 100 (81%)

No comments:

Post a Comment