Sunday, October 7, 2012

BEHIND THE MASKS - Some New Pickups

I'm not sure why, but the past year has been a pretty slow one for my goalie mask card collection.

It's not like there aren't some great looking cards to pick up.  In The Game's Masked Men 4 set in their recent Between The Pipes product might go down as my favorite yet.  But for some reason I just haven't been as motivated to grab one of each.

Maybe it's because I have been focusing on my Linden pickups a little more.  Maybe it's because I don't want to buy cards....I'd rather trade for them.

As my luck would have it, I found 4 for the collection last week that puts a little more of a dent in the list (actually...I don't even have a list made up for this set yet.  I just carry all of the cards I have along with me and that tells me what I have.  Yes....it's sad).

A pair of really nice lids.  Smith's mask was one of my faves from last year and the Crawford is nice - even if it is predominantly white.

I've said it before - and I'll say it again.  ITG did it right by having the regular version of these cards die-cut.  I really like the looks of these and am looking forward to seeing what Dr. Price and the gang do for next year.

What's better than a couple of current masks?  How about some vintage fibreglass.

The Bernie Parent is one that I've had in the past but traded (cause I like to help) and the Bromley...well, say no more.  His mask is just rock solid awesome.  Much better than the simple cage-style helmet he donned in some other photos.

These four cards put me to 24 in total - so almost halfway there.  I really should build a wantlist.


Speaking of wantlists, the one I do cart around came in handy as I saw another Masked Men card I thought I needed.
Sure enough, this Jaroslav Halak from the 10/11 season of Between The Pipes was one of the few to elude me.  I asked the owner of the card if he'd be interested in trading.  He said sure.

So I kept the card out as a reminder, the night progressed, the card remained out and finally I decided to pack up, pay my tab and head home.  Just before I walked out the door though the card was flashed in my face.  "Here you go...we'll settle up later."

Mighty nice if you ask me.


I might just finish off one of these sets one day.

One day.

1 comment:

  1. Cool stuff. I am the same way with the masks at this point. The only one I bought lately was for $0.99 with free shipping from eBay. If I can't find a deal like that, I tend to not go for them while I focus on other PC projects.

    ReplyDelete