Thursday, December 5, 2013

MY COLLECTION - A Pair Of Extra Autos

A couple of weeks ago I received a package with yet another Linden card for my pc.  This one came through a trade on the hobby boards.  I love when I can add a card without shelling out cash.

I had asked about the Linden and the trader expressed interest in some autos I had.  We worked out a deal and in addition to the Linden, I picked up a couple autos myself for my trade box.

It wasn't until I took a close look at them that I found something interesting.  Something I thought I'd share.

2011/12 ITG Broad Street Boys
#A-DS Dave Schultz autograph

"The Hammer".  What is it about enforcers and their slick looking signatures?  Don't believe me?  Take a look at Marty McSorley's - one of the nicest out there.

There was something that struck a chord with me when I saw this card listed.  While not a superstar player, Schultz definitely has a following.  Hopefully it will make for a good trader.

2012/13 ITG Motown Madness
#A-TN Ted Nolan autograph

I decided to pick this card up for the simple reason that Nolan is back in the NHL coaching.  Maybe that will boost the interest in this card...even slightly.  Ah, who am I kidding - it probably won't.  I've seen Buffalo's record.

Another nice looking signature though.  Love the domed lid Ted's sporting.  Ah, the good ol' days.


So, now that you've seen both cards, what do you think?  Something odd eh?

Here, I'll help you out even more.  If you can't see it now, you need to just move along.

The design similarities are baffling.  Every single element of the card design is identical.  From the scuffed partial logo acting as a background for the cutout photo, to the borders surrounding the sticker auto, to the lower tab housing the player name (I guess they did use a different font), to the lower background color separation.  It's all exact.

Now I get that most people who would be attracted to the Philly product probably would pass on the Detroit offering (and vice versa), but the re-hashing of an entire concept does speak a little to laziness in my eyes.

Sure, both are nice cards...but when you put them together like this, the individual lustre of each fades - a lot.

Something I had no idea of until I saw them both land in the mailbox at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. don't forget about the faded arena shot in the background of the auto...

    ahhh ITG.... the love / hate continues....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not one to defend laziness on designs but in ITG's defense, all the team-themed sets are sort of one giant series of cards.

    ReplyDelete