Tuesday, April 1, 2014

I'VE GOT SOME BAD NEWS

I would just like to begin by saying that this is not an April Fool's Joke.

There are times in a person's life when decisions need to be made.  Decisions that are bigger than a simple collection.  Some cards in a box and some junk in a closet.  Sometimes those decisions are difficult....but they are for the greater good.

That's why this post might be the toughest one to write in the five years that I have been blogging.




(BEGIN SOMBRE MUSIC)

There are items in my personal collection that (I guess you could say) mean more than others.  They have sentimental value, they may have been gifts or tough chases.  Sometimes they are bigger ticket items or those rare gems.

I smile just a little more when I see them in the binders or take them out of the boxes to look at.  They provide great memories.

Rarely do I part with any of these items.  In fact, for the most part, they are off limits to others.  And respectfully, nobody has ever asked me to part with an item in my personal collection.

But today I was presented with an opportunity that I just couldn't turn down.  Will I reget what I did?  Maybe.  And that's why I'm typing these words.  It's just that important.

I happened to stumble on a thread posted by a fellow hobbyist who is collecting one of the most challenging sets I think I've ever seen.  This person was showing off a recent pickup.  The moment I saw the card and read the story, I knew that I would have to dip into my vault and part with a cherished item in my collection.



(DEEP BREATH)














Yes, it's the Paul Kariya golf card.

I know, I know.....you must think I am crazy or just not thinking straight (and maybe that's the case).......but sometimes there are things out there bigger than a crappy looking golf card.  Like helping someone else build the set.

That's right - someone is actually building the 100-card set.

For those of you who have not been following my blog for all these years, Paul was essentially the inspiration, the nucleus, the seed of what has become one of my favorite side projects.  To The Bike Spokes!

It was many moons ago that I saw this gem and decided it was worthy of it's own post.  For those of you who have not read it (or would like a refresher, here it is).

So when I found out that there was somebody who was actually building this set, I knew I had to sacrifice.  It's for the greater good.

I'll miss you.....jeans-laden, lazy golfer guy.  I'll miss you.....camo-themed background.  I'll miss you.....silly mustache side photo.

(TEAR WIPE)

Parting is such sweet sorrow.  (That's from a book).

As much as this pains me to do, I know that there will be someone happy on the other end of this (I think).  And I'll always have this post.  This scan.

I feel like I'm just rambling now.  This stream of consciousness thing is getting a little out of hand.  I need to reel it back in.

Ooooooooohhhhhh.....hockey player themed fishing set.

Dibs!


2 comments: