Monday, November 24, 2014

LINDEN CARD(s) OF THE WEEK - A Double Hit Of Patchy Goodness

I got home tonight to not one, not two, but three bubble envelopes.  I love a mailday like that.  One envelope was from an ebay purchase, one from a hobby board trade and the final one was a very kind gift from a fellow blogger.

I'm looking forward to going through everything and showing off a few of the cards too.

These two Linden cards go together well because they are both nice patches.  The one finishes off a product release for my pc as well (double...double whammy).  The other is one of these show 1/1 redemption cards that I'm learning to hate.  But since it was a trade, all ill feelings go by the wayside.

2012/13 In The Game
Decades 90s
#M-44 Game Used Patch Silver
2014 Toronto Fall Expo 1/1

How is it that a product that came out over a year ago gets the redemption treatment at a 2014 Fall Expo?  How is it that this product now has two versions (2013 & 2014) of redemptions produced and released?

I know....Johnny Crybaby.  But I just don't get the sheer volume of redemption cards that came out of the ITG camp earlier this month in Toronto.  Overkill is an understatement.

But, like I mentioned, I did pick this card up in a trade so I'm ok with this.  And the patch is really nice.  Three colors, vintage jersey....I'm in.

But I doubt I'll be in for many more unless the price is stupid good.

2012/13 In The Game
Forever Rivals
#M-41 Game Used Patch Red

Now this card on the other hand was a fun one to pick up.  Limited to just six copies, it was the last card from the Forever Rivals product (not including redemptions....hrmph!) on the wantlist.

When it popped up on ebay last week, I had to do a quick doubletake.  I wasn't sure if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.  And to top it off, it had a pretty reasonable Buy It Now price.

But as nice as the price was, I felt that it should go for a little less.  Yes, the patch is nice, but if there was some red in it....it would have been a slam dunk.  Instead, I put in a Best Offer to knock down the price.

I've been burned by this tactic before.  Good price, get a little greedy, wait for a response, someone else scoops in and buys it.  But this was a card that I thought wouldn't have as much interest.  It's from a product that's a couple years old, the patch isn't as strong and quite frankly, the market for Linden cards that aren't fresh off the assembly line just isn't as strong as it was a couple years ago.

I waited.....and waited.  The card auction sifted onto the second page on ebay, and I waited.  The longer things went, the more comfortable I became.

Late that day I got the e-mail saying that my offer had been accepted.  I was thrilled to pay what I did for the card and am equally happy now that it's in my possession.

Slowly but surely I'm crossing cards off.  They get added on the list quickly at times, but I've got the time to knock them off.

2 comments:

  1. I almost forget he was a Hab. Such an unfortunate period of time! At least they aren't pumping out too many patch cards from his Isles and Caps days.

    Beauty pick ups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While it would be neat to have some Caps and Isles patches, I'm perfectly content with nobody having any gamers from those teams. I'm assuming as much because of a company like ITG or UD did have one....I'm sure they'd be using it.

      When he went to the Habs I remember being thrilled. His year in New York meant I never got to see him on TV. At least in Montreal I could watch him on the French channel every Saturday.

      Ah.....memories.

      Delete