Saturday, June 23, 2018

LINDEN CARD(s) OF THE WEEK - A Gift And A Get

I'm on a roll here people!!!  Two posts in less than two weeks??!!!  In the immortal words of George Costanza - "I'm back baby!"

In all seriousness, it's nice to sit down for a few moments and type on this blog.  I've just finished doing a little tidying of my recent pickups (a very quick task), some Linden hunting on eBay and some checklist revising.  I've also become lazy and decided not to crack out the scanner (not a big fan of the job it does)...so I took pics of my latest show & tell.

A couple Linden offerings this time - after all, it is my main PC, and I've got a pair of great pickups to share.

2017/18 Leaf In The Game Used
#NHF-39 Nickname Hall Of Fame  /30

The use of 'Captain Canuck' on Linden cards it seems has finally been embraced by card companies - and I'm a big fan.  Upper Deck hit the nail on the head with their UD Premier Inked Script last season and now this Leaf ITGU set follows suit.

note: I just realized I haven't shared that pickup from a while back....I'll need to fix that.

This is the "base" card of the product with a whopping 14 parallels to chase (not including printing plates...if there are any).  This is a huge reason why I've laid off the gas when it comes to chasing Linden cards - oversaturation and lack of variety.  But this card is a gem.

This was a very kind gift from a fellow Linden collector who once again shares his selflessness with me.  I've done my best to "pay it forward" in the past and this Linden card will be a solid reminder to do so in the future.  I've always enjoyed cards in my collection that have a story and this one most definitely does.

Really thrilled to add it to the PC.  Thanks very much Kevin!!


This second card comes from the Summit Show that took place a couple months back.  I've seen this card on eBay a number of times and the first time I saw it I knew I needed to chase it.  It sort of....spoke to me personally.  The price was a little high so I never did snag it.  When I saw it at the show, I knew that some patience would likely get me to the price I needed.

2013/14 In The Game Stickwork
#SRD-08 Stick Rack Dual Silver (with Bure)

How about that Bure stick piece eh??  SWEET!!

Now....what could possibly be on a Linden stick that would have the letters BRE?  I don't care....I know what the last two letters likely are.  :)

I already have a copy of this card so did I really need this one?  YES!!  If you see a card this fun....you buy it (when the price is right).  Hard not to smile at it when I take it out of the case and look at it - even now.  A no-brainer pickup for me and one that I think will be a key conversation piece for a long time.


So what's coming down the pipe for me?  Hopefully a chance to start pecking away at the monstrous wantlist that has been built the last few seasons.  The 17/18 campaign has been extremely light all things considered (and I welcome it).  Upper Deck only added Linden in to their Canadian Tire Team Canada set and Leaf has him in a trio of products.  I'm looking forward to knocking off some inexpensive finds over the rest of the year - keeping the chase fun and within my budget.

My Oscar Gamble collection has been pretty quiet as well....but I am just taking my time on that one.  No need to rush.  Gotta keep that one simple, fun and inexpensive.  Stay the course.

Goalie mask sets are pretty meek these days with Leaf doing their Masked Men stuff.  Nothing groundbreaking and I find myself waiting until the singles are a couple bucks a piece.  Not going to break the bank building those.  Other than that, my side projects are always on the radar.

I do have an idea brewing for a new project that I might begin this fall.  The 'Buck Binder'.  Simply put, build a binder of 100 cards that I like, each priced at a buck or less.  Doesn't matter the type of card (auto, jersey, base, etc.) but it's gotta catch my eye and cost less than $1.  Once I hit 100 cards....it becomes a game of "upgrading".  If I want to add to the pile, I'll need to take one out.  Inexpensive and fun - seems to be the way I play the game these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment