Wednesday, May 5, 2021

LINDEN CARD(s) OF THE WEEK - We've Got A Really Big Show

I've been a Trevor Linden collector for more than half my life. When it comes to my hobby story, there is no question that my Linden PC is front and center...and a true galvanizing aspect of sportscards for me. This collection has kept me motivated, organized, passionate and ever-chasing - even when things slow down or get in a funk. Linden cards have always been a source of enjoyment.

I do searches for new Linden cards on eBay daily...even hourly.  Technology has created a streamlined situation that makes the task virtually effortless. And make no mistake...I still get really excited when I find a card that has been sitting on the wantlist for a long time. It doesn't happen as often...and maybe that makes it all the more enjoyable.

Recently, I've come across an influx of older show cards the likes I've never seen before. On wantlist where some of these cards have been sitting for almost 20 years, just finding a copy is near impossible. To land not just one...but multiple - is borderline unheard of.

But here we are.  Enjoy the show (see what I did there).

1998/99 Be A Player
#234 SHOW Atlanta National  /10

This is a perfect example of a card I thought I'd never see. I still can't believe I own a copy of it.

So, the story behind this card (and most of the others in this post) come from a site called Centre Ice Collectibles. They sell singles and I've picked up the odd card here and there over the years. Most of the time I check out their site, they have base and a few mid-range parallels...nothing I don't already have. They've also started posting some of their cards for sale on eBay...which is where the lightbulb went off.

They did not have this card on eBay...I went to the CIC site after I tracked down a couple other cards and couldn't believe my eyes at the number of show cards they had sitting in the Linden checklist. 

My excitement was so palpable that it cost me in some stupid shipping costs (more on that later).

I've said it a number of times since I cracked open the bubble mailer...I can't believe I have found a copy of this card.

1999/00 Be A Player Millenium
#129 SHOW Fanfest Silver  /25

This was one of the cards I saw lurking on eBay. It popped up on my feed on a weekday afternoon, causing me to do a doubletake. What was a rare gem like this doing wandering on deck on a Tuesday? It made no sense. A quick check of my master list confirmed that it was indeed a card I needed...so I pulled the trigger quick on the purchase.  Even went so far as to pay for it right away (foreshadowing).

This is the fourth colour parallel of this show card that I now own and again, I still can't believe I stumbled on a copy of it.  These cards just never see the light of day.

But within seconds of me winning this auction...another card popped up right behind it.

2000/01 Be A Player Signature
#213 SHOW Cleveland National Ruby  /10

My jaw dropped when I saw a second show card hit the open market. I started wondering if there was a Linden collector offloading their collection. Then I saw the seller and started putting two and two together.

I snagged this piece of cardboard just as quick....paid for it - yes, I ended up completely blowing the whole "combined shipping" thing - and was off to the CIC website.

At $3 a card to ship...it wasn't the end of the world...but had I'd known how many show cards I'd be buying, I'd have paid more attention.

This card finished off the four-card Cleveland National rainbow and is the 13th show card from this card issue (I think I need to do a show & tell just on that).

But wait...there's more.

2001/02 Be A Player Parkhurst
#161 SHOW Tri-Star Collectors Show  /10

This was the one card that started off this recent show card haul. A couple of months ago, I started noticing that there was a seller who had monstrous amounts of show cards from one set issue...and was offering them up at crazy prices.  Of course, they were cards I needed so my lip was getting bruised as I was constantly biting it - holding off on making some bad purchases. 

My patience paid off as this card hit eBay again shortly after, with a different seller and for a much more reasonable price.

Again, I've never seen a copy of this card. It's unbelievable to think I now own it...and three other show cards within such a short period of time.

The even more absurd part of all this...as I was typing up this post tonight, I decided to go back to the CIC site just to triple-check my master list with what they have left in their inventory.  Wouldn't you know it, they have TWO MORE show cards that are on my wantlist. So this isn't the last of my 20-year-old show card haul.

This hobby never ceases to amaze me.

One more Linden to wrap up the post...this time, a buyback from a product that had me smitten when it originally came out.

2018/19 Upper Deck MVP
#131 98-99 Buybacks  /20

This card comes from one of the low-end UD products...but was one of the most desirable cards for me in the 18/19 season. I don't know why, but I was a sucker for these buybacks. Numbered to just 20 copies (to celebrate this product's 20th anniversary) I thought it was a really fun chase. I even opened a few boxes back in the day.  These buybacks came one in every box. Of course, my luck, I hit a Joe Juneau on my first attempt...and my second.  Yup, I have 2 of the 20 possible Joe Juneau cards from this offering.

It took a while to find a copy of this Linden for the right price...again, a lesson in patience. Really happy when it showed up. It's not often I add many cards from recent products these days. I find they have huge asking prices and I'm just not as motivated a buyer as I was years ago. I can wait.

This came at the right time and I'm thrilled with it...as I am with all of the Linden cards in this post. It arguably is the biggest addition to my collection in quite a number of months. Doubtful it's a trend that will continue, but I like the fact that I can give myself complete permission to take a stab at a card whenever I want. I feel I've got the mindset to not go crazy these days and put a burden on my wallet.

It really is the best way to collect.

What a month it has been.

NOTE: I just realized that not a single one of these cards shows Trev in his Canucks jersey. Odd. 
 

6 comments:

  1. There was a time when I was trying to collect every Owen Nolan card in existence... but super rare stuff like these card show stamped cards eventually opened my eyes and made me realize being a super collector wasn't my cup of tea. Congratulations on landing so many of these cards during such a short stretch of time. Hopefully the streak will continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. For me, it was the Topps Gold Label 1/1s. Seeing NINE different 1/1s in one product absolutely crushed my dream of owning one of every Linden card. Nowadays, I laugh at the thought of chasing to 100%....but I still like to dream. 😎

      Delete
  2. Great stuff! Love that MVP Buyback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too....that was a nice one to knock off the list.

      Delete
  3. Very nice haul of show cards! The 00-01 Signature Series are an interesting one. There are actually 6 different show stamped versions for each player. There are also Copper and Platinum to go along with the typical silver, ruby, saphire and emerald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I've never seen the Copper and Platinum of the Cleveland National show cards. I have the others...and with all the show card variations of that #213 Sig Series...have 14 in total. If you have seen the Copper and Platinum of the Linden...would love to see scans please. Cheers.

      Delete