Friday, October 6, 2023

LINDEN CARD OF THE WEEK - Not Something I See Everyday

Hello again. I hope everyone had a fantastic summer. I'm in complete denial that we are into October already (but the Jays being bounced from the playoffs would say it is so).

It's been a unique past few months to say the least. I have moved into a freelance working position that has me working from home these days - and loving it. But, as with many new working situations, there are some hiccups. I'm hoping that they iron out before the end of the year. I think they will...I trust the process.

From a collecting standpoint, I've had another quiet year for the most part. I type that as I look at a pile of cards that have built up over the summer. A nice handful of blogposts is what I see. We'll see how the next few months go, maybe I'll find the urge to post a little more (I bet when the puck drops on a new NHL season I'll find that energy).

But I did want to post something this week as it is the 14th anniversary of my blog. And I'll let that sink in for a bit.

My collecting habits have taking a huge rollercoaster ride in that time, but I can confidently say that I'm in a fantastic place hobby-wise, I still pay attention to it on a daily basis (even if it's just checking what's new on eBay) and I see so many instances of positive mindsets and attitudes that it just reinforces how much I love collecting hockey cards. It's so good.

The card I'll share today...it's an example of a Linden that I've probably seen only one or two other times ever. It's that rare. Not so much in serial number scarcity, but in the circumstances of how I obtained it.

2021/22 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection
#USR-TL 2000-01 Ultimate Signatures Retro

Yeah, it's just an autograph card (but a real nice looking one at that). I happened to come across this one at the monthly local trade night just a couple days ago. Pulled straight from a pack that I was watching being opened live.

As soon as the card revealed itself, everyone turned their heads towards me - shocker. Ha ha. I thought it was the nicest looking card in the case...still think that. Everyone else dismissed it pretty quickly. 

It was the shop that had opened the pack and so I knew pretty quick that I was going to be walking home with it. They had helped me out on a couple other things earlier in the evening and so I just left it to them to set the price. There word was as good as gold to me. I appreciated that they gave me a fair price and I'm thrilled to add this one to the master collection.

I can really think of only two other times I've seen a Linden pulled in-store...maybe three. In all cases, I do know that I've walked out with the card. Always makes for a great story.

I've seen numerous occasions over the past number of months of great stories revealing themselves when it comes to my Linden cards. I think it adds a massive layer of depth to my collection - even if it's just me who feels that way.

So here's to another 14 years (or more). I know for a fact I'll still be collecting Linden, so I guess I'll see you then. And, of course, in the meantime as well.

2 comments: