Friday, April 26, 2024

LINDEN STUB OF THE WEEK - An Awesome Oddball Ticket Stub

I love oddball Linden items. Maybe it's because there's just not as many cards I'm able to find in my budgeting wheelhouse.

Or maybe because these odd relics are just super-cool.

This one popped up on ebay and I did a triple take. It looked awesome...the price was fantastic...so what's the catch?

Sometimes, there is none. That's a win for me.

This gem of a ticket stub comes from the 1991 Buffalo Sabres season. I don't know when teams started putting player images on tickets...but this has got to be a very early iteration. I love that it's beat up...probably shoved in a pocket back in the day. The fact that someone kept it all these years and is now selling it - that's all the better for me.

With the Smythe division rarely playing the Adams division (you young folks can now do some homework on what I'm talking about), it was pretty easy to figure out exactly what game this stub came from.

March 10th, 1991. Linden was just a kid back then. He didn't even have the captaincy at this point. Look at that photo...outstanding! And can I geek out for just a second...Section 16. C'mon.

This was an easy item to justify ringing up. Really love having a unique piece like this in with the rest of my collection.

The other thing I love about it...it's a little taller than a tobacco card so it fits nicely into a penny sleeve and toploader. Right into the early section of my Linden cards it goes.

I like when items can live in amongst my cards. Much of my oddball stuff I have to put in separate boxes so it messes with the overall mojo.

Oh...as for the game itself. It was a 7-5 win for the Canucks (typical early 90's hockey). Linden with a goal and assist in the first period. Troy Gamble kept it together long enough for the win. Good times.


What's the coolest oddball item in your collection? What's an item that lives within your card collection that "just fits" in with them? 

2 comments:

  1. Tough question. It'd take some serious thinking to come up with the actual "coolest oddball item in my collection". But I'll share a couple that came to mind:

    1. I still have a ticket from a Sharks game I attended during their inaugural season. I'm pretty sure it's the first Sharks game I attended... but can't be 100% sure.

    2. I have this Oakland A's dot race watch that was a giveaway item. One of my readers gave it to me a few years ago and I recently dug it up... so it's fresh on my mind. I'm eventually going to write a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sharks item has reminded me of another cool Linden item I picked up. Going to have to dig that out and share. I bet you’d like it. Cheers!

      Delete