Sunday, October 4, 2009

THE YEAR IN CARDS - Week 1

This is the first weekly feature I will be presenting to you.

For a couple years now, I have toyed with the idea of doing a custom set of hockey cards celebrating each night of the NHL season.

Well, this is the season that I do it. I mocked up a simple template (which was a necessity to do this) and did a couple tests. I'm quite happy with the results.

The goal - to choose ONE PHOTO from each night of NHL action to represent that date's card in my set.

THE YEAR IN CARDS - WEEK 1

Year In Cards - Oct 1 a


Year In Cards - Oct 1 b


Year In Cards - Oct 2 a


Year In Cards - Oct 2 b


Year In Cards - Oct 3 a


Year In Cards - Oct 3 b


I have already discovered a huge challenge when it comes to this set. Deciding on ONE PHOTO per night - not as easy as I thought. Last night it was really tough not to use the John Tavares photo after scoring his first NHL goal. If the Isles had won - it would have been a no brainer.

Ultimately, it's my choice and I'm happy with the ones I've made.

I will be posting these on Sunday nights normally (but since there are no games today, I thought I'd give myself a head start).

Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. The first thing i thought when i saw this set was "God Bless America!" :-) Seriously, though...very nice design. I'm extremely jealous of your creativeness! As I was scrolling down I was wondering if you'd have Tavares for Oct. 3rd. That would have definitely been my highlight for obvious reasons. The Khabibulin picture is good, though. But, I wonder which event will be more significant a year from now? Hey? Huh? Not too late to change it, y'know? ;-) Just kidding mang! Good stuff! I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the Oilers end up missing the playoffs by a couple points...then the Bulin Blunder will be the more significant event.

    That said, the Tavares picture I was going to use did look really good. I should mock one up anyways.

    We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job, Brett. Too bad we didn't have a pile o'cash to start a card company. Someone needs to give UD a run for its money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True...but, they do have 81 games to make up for that mistake. And may end up making bigger ones! Tavares will only score his 1st goal once! Now, I'm seriously messing with you. I guess this might illustrate how hard it will be to choose a highlight on certain nights. Which is good...its always nice to have a little debate. So how many cards will this set have? Are you including the Olympics?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tavares gets his first NHL only once...you are right. It was definitely a tough choice.

    I did catch the Flames / Oilers tilt while I only saw the highlights from the Islanders game. Maybe that factored into it as well.

    Debate is always good.

    The set will be one card for each night there is a regular season game. I'm going to pass on the Olympics (allow myself a break). I am contemplating the playoffs though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see how the guys at Upperdeck do their things. Some of the designs they come up with are fantastic.

    I hope one day that another card company will be given an opportunity do licensed NHL cards.

    The competitive juices tend to yeild superior results.

    Thanks for stopping by Puckhound!

    ReplyDelete