Wednesday, February 10, 2010

CARDBOARD PHOTOGRAPHY - Felix Potvin

This entry into the 'Cardboard Photography' list is one that I can really appreciate.


2002/03 Upper Deck Victory
#96 Felix Potvin

First off, let me say that I love goalie masks. I think they are eye-catching, unique pieces of equipment (in all of sports). The artwork on some of these goalies' masks are unreal. And the vintage fibreglass stuff is off the charts.

I'll say it again - I LOVE GOALIE MASKS!

Obviously, this card is one that caught my eye immediately. The advances in photography by 2002 made it possible to get in real close to capture something like this. Can you imagine cards from the 60's looking like this - talk about 'must have' cards...that's what they would be.

The "I'm going to splash some water on my face" is a classic move by the goalies and it was only a matter of time before it was forever captured on a hockey card. Now I'm not saying that this is the first example of it, I just like the look of this one.

There are "drinking" shots out there that don't work at all. I think you need to be able to see the face of the goalie (and not be blocked by the Gatorade bottle completely....yes, I've seen it happen). I think there needs to be a good balance of splash (the crisp water droplets is what really sets these shots apart).

Ultimately, I love the dynamics of the shot. An extreme closeup - giving you a unique and inside look into the nuances of the game (or at least what happens in between whistles).

No comments:

Post a Comment