Monday, February 22, 2010

Raise The Cup - Progress.....UGH!

I was going through some of my old base cards that have just been taking up space in my closet. Organizing and eventually getting rid of most of them. I plan on keeping some for my 'One Sheet, One Set' project, my goalie mask collection as well as plucking the odd 'Bike Spoke' card.

One of the other sets that I've been kind of keeping an eye out for is my 'Raise The Cup' project. Cards where players are hoisting the cup over their heads. Capturing that pinnacle moment in a player's career.

I came one card that I knew I needed a reason to exclude from the set.


MESSIER!!!! How I hate this guy. Messier and coach Mike Keenan both were the reasons why my favorite player was traded from the Canucks in a terrible move by the club (granted, they got Bertuzzi and McCabe in the process....but still).

Before that though, they were the main players in the New York Rangers ending their long curse for the cup. One game away from Trevor Linden leading the Canucks to the promise land. It still stings to think about it.

Now looking at the card, Messier isn't raising the cup over his head. It doesn't have the same feel as the other cards in my collection. So with that, after serious deliberation, I have decided that it will not be included in my 'Raise The Cup' collection. (he, he, he).

Sadly, Messier gets the last laugh - again.


Did I mention that I hate Messier.


I hate his teammates too.


All of them.


Especially this guy. I can't believe Nick Kypreos has a Stanley Cup ring. This card needs to be put through the bike spokes for sure. I mean look at his mug. That's just wrong.

1994/95 Topps Stadium Club....I hate you as a set. The New York Rangers 'love in' is just wrong. To make matters worse, there were a half-dozen other Rangers cards that had players holding the cup, drinking from the cup, posing with the cup.

The New York Rangers circa 1994 - I don't like you. But I've added 4 cards to my collection.

YUCK!

'Raise The Cup' collection - 7 cards

5 comments:

  1. I am with you on Messier; I have never like the guy. Same goes for Tikkanen but that's because he played on that Oilers Cup team of 89/90 and shut my favourite Bruin (Craig Janney) down for the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now Dave, comments like that will get you booted from my blog.

    I can make it happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I love this blog(so far), it kind of hurts that you would put down my team. Messier is a legend. Although Adam Graves is my all-time favorite, Messier ranks in the top 5 of my favorites. I will give you this though...the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals were some of the best games period. Bure getting robbed on the penalty shot was one of my favorite moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jason,

    Glad you are enjoying it. I appreciate that.

    It's not so much the Rangers.....it's Keenan first and foremost and Messier riding a close second.

    Messier's time in Vancouver was a disaster. I think his arrival and Keenan's coaching were the two contributing factors to Linden being shipped to the Islanders.

    I never got the sense that Messier had the respect for Linden and the years that he put into the Cnaucks organization. I feel that he came in and played the 'I'm THE captain and this is my team' card and it just spiraled downhill - for everyone.

    Messier is an amazing player and his credentials speak for themselves. But I think a lot of people gloss over the time period when The Moose was a Canuck (much like when Gretzky was with the Blues).

    That said, I agree with you. The 1994 Stanley Cup Finals will go down for me as the best I have ever seen. It was ultra-exciting and back and forth. The outcome in doubt until the very end (as it should be). The release of emotion (from both sides) is something I will never forget - and always appreciate.

    Thanks again for your comment and I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete