Wednesday, July 24, 2013

RAISE THE CUP - Familiar Colors

I'm still trying to think what the Colorado Avalanche might do to their team before the season kicks off in a little over 2 months (didn't we just award a Stanley Cup?).  I'm extremely curious to see what the likes of Sakic and Roy will do to get what I think is a decent young crop of forwards going.

The defence is another story.

When I saw Captain Canuck pass this card over to me last week during trade night, those were the first thoughts that passed through my head.

1996/97 Upper Deck
#38 Patrick Roy

That was until he mentioned the stellar career Patrick had with the Habs.

A quick flip of the card revealed (full and complete) stats to that point of one of the greatest goalies ever to play in the NHL.  He was a lock for 25-30 wins each season (with 36 being his best in the 1991/92 campaign) and had already amassed almost 300 wins before being sent to the Avalanche.

And his success quickly came along with him as he won a cup with Colorado in his first season there.  Talk about an impact.

No doubt he's a winner - and I'm sure he'll be bringing that mindset and expectation to the team this year.

I'm just real curious to see how he does.  I enjoyed seeing what he could do on the ice but wasn't the biggest fan of his off the ice.  He's going to have a huge microscope bearing down on him all season.....so he better get prepared.

Regardless....it should be an interesting season.

Thanks again for the card B!!!

Current Collection - 112 cards

No comments:

Post a Comment