Monday, April 21, 2014

RAISE THE CUP - Four Beautiful Blackhawks & One Sweet Stevens

I finally took some time to get my Raise The Cup project organized.  It had gotten a little out of control (if you can call a 100-card pc "out of control").  There were cards strewn all over my desk, duplicates sitting in my binder and frankly....some cards that just needed to go.

Without going into a ton of detail.....I've streamlined.

No longer will the Panini Certified insert sets be a part of this project.  Instead, I will slowly build the sets on their own.  They will sit as an accompanying part of the collection, but not part of the project.

Cards in these binder sheets will now be full on cards that have the player on the front clearly celebrating with The Cup.  No more duplicate cards (french/english, US/Canada variations, etc.).  Sorry to the dozen or so cards that have been given the boot.  It's for the greater good.

In addition to the housecleaning, I decided to scan some cards.  So let's take a look at some of the new additions.

2013/14 Upper Deck Series I
#117 Jonathan Toews

Yeah...this one was a no brainer.  What a fantastic photo.

Sweat-drenched hair, championship cap, playoff beard, outburst of joy.  What more does one want in a card?

Oh yeah.....The Cup!

I love the angle of the shot in this photo.  The side view allows one to get a good look inside the bowl.  Very cool.

2013 Panini Black Friday
#18 Jonathan Toews (shiny version)

This card sucks when scanned....but looks fantastic in person.  Wavy, shiny, black and with a simple design.  It looks great.

This card was a part of Panini's Black Friday promotion last year, so I assume it was a giveaway card.  I was able to trade for it a number of months back.

It's been sitting on my desk ever since.  For shame.

2011/12 Panini Donruss Elite
#14 Dustin Byfuglien

I was told that this shiny offering comes from another Panini giveaway thingy.  Works for me.

Dustin is looking a little more chill than Toews and I love the crooked hat. Slick.  The "deer in headlights" facial expression is the icing on the cake.

But....he's hoisting that trophy.  It's in.

2013/14 Upper Deck Series I
UD Canvas
#C50 Patrick Kane

Speaking of chill.  Kane looks cool like Tom Cruise in 1983.

The ticker tape background gives this card a great looking effect and oddly makes Kane and the Cup pop out....and yet at the same time blend in.  Optical.

2000/01 Topps Stadium Club
#33 Scott Stevens

But the king of ticker tape cards might just go to this Scott Stevens offering.

The low angle shot makes Scott look like he's king of the world and the background just sits so abstractly.


So with that, I'm now up to date on the collection.  Let's see how long that lasts.


Current Collection 112 cards

No comments:

Post a Comment