Thursday, April 24, 2014

'30 in 30' LEGACY - From Harlem With Love

Well it has been a mighty long time since I have posted anything referencing my '30 in 30' project from a year and a half ago.  Remember that?  30 sports documentaries (that I have never seen before) in 30 days.  It was a lot of fun and I saw an wide range of topics, production styles and editing "looks" that really made me appreciate the sports documentary form even more.

If you're interested in checking out some of my past viewings, go to the Labels section on the right hand side of my blog.  Click on 30 in 30 and you're in business.

You won't see many ESPN 30 for 30 selections on my list mainly because I have seen them all.  I'm always looking for new episodes on TV and couldn't buy the first set of 30 fast enough on Blu-ray.  I'm patiently waiting for the second series to be complete (they have about 10 or so left) so I can purchase that one too.

What has caught my eye a bit recently is the spin-off '30 for 30 Short' series that can be viewed online.....for free.  Free is good.

Basically, it's a 30 for 30 documentary, but shorter.  They sit in the 12-15 minute range.  Many of the topics don't warrant a full hour of production, so this 'short' vehicle works perfectly.  There have been quite a few titles released so far.

My favorite without question is Holy Grail which focuses on one of the most iconic baseball cards of all time.  If you decide to watch it, keep note in the back of your head that there have been some recent developments.  Watch it....then do some research.  An incredible story.

I also really enjoyed Jake, The Irrelevant Giant, Cutthroat and Arthur and Johnnie.  But all of them are enjoyable.  Soon you can do your own mini '30 in 30'.  There are almost enough titles.

This past week was the premiere of the newest doc...From Harlem With Love.  It's subject is a little near and dear to my heart - The Harlem Globetrotters.  If you'd like to check out some of my past ramblings on The Trotters, do a quick blog search.  They are a true sports institution.

But the story presented in this latest video is one I did not know about.  There's some great footage that I had never seen before and a certain basketball player that many never even knew played for the team.

Worth the watch....





And if any of you have seen a sweet sports doc recently, drop me a comment.  I'd love to hunt down some new viewing material.

No comments:

Post a Comment