Saturday, October 4, 2014

MY COLLECTION - Some Random Card Show Pickups

So I managed to make it out to my first local card show of the season.  It had been a while since I last spent a Saturday afternoon perusing tables smattered with cardboard.

And it ended up being a spectacular day.

Outside I mean.  Did it ever get warm out!  I shoulda been golfing.

Anyways, I was thrilled to get back into the swing of things with the local shows.  Even if the turnout was pretty thin.

Not many tables and just a few regulars looking around.  It made me comment on more than on occasion that this could be the beginning of the end for the monthly show.  One that I have been attending for well over 15 years.  I've said it a few times....I cringe for the day that the local card show goes away - because it will be for good me thinks.

But there were some goodies out and about on the tables.  OPC was being gobbled up like a gunshot (whatever that means).  The stuff is hot.  I  didn't have any luck grabbing any of the parallels I need.  Bummer.

I did snag a Linden auto from National Treasures (I'll show that off later), a mask from Masked Men 6 (again....later) and a few "el cheapos".  Lastly, I took chance on a sweet deal and I think it's gonna pay off.

But now....let's look at some cards.

1954/55 Parkhurst
#73 Camille Henry

Even I was surprised when I picked this one up.  But I saw it with another card and added it into the lot.

This vintage offering is not in great shape and does have a few creases, but it just spoke to me.

I liked the slight off-centering, the muted colors and the facsimile signature.  For $3....I said sure.  It'll sit well in my "One Sheet, One Set" project (yes, I still think about that project).

I was hoping to see some cards for my Parkie Project but there were just a few....slabbed.  Pass.

2010 Upper Deck World Of Sports
Athletes Of The World
#AW-30 Billy Casper

This card had a $20 sticker on it....but was placed in the $2 pile.  I'm a sucker for a good deal.

I knew Billy Casper was an old-time golfer (legend shall we say).  I wasn't sure how much autographed items he had out there but for a toonie...I took a shot.

And c'mon, he's got a solid signature eh?


Now both of those cards were grouped in with the following piece.  I did a double take when I first saw it.  And I'm still debating whether or not the seller knew what he had.

2012/13 In The Game Draft Prospects
First Round Pick
#119 Marc-Andre Fleury Gold (limited to 10)

This card scans like crap....but looks like gold in person - literally.

I knew that the First Round Pick cards had a regular silver version, a green emerald parallel and a gold toughie.

This one definitely looks gold to me.

It had a $4 price tag on it......but was plunked in the dollar box.

Yes please.

Now I bought the card knowing that there was a hardcore Fleury collector out there.  I wasn't sure if he needed it, but for a buck...I'll take that chance.

Guess what, it's on his wantlist.

So it's going in the mail Monday.  Shhhhhhhh.  It's a secret.


Now let that be a good lesson for you all out there.  If you're done looking for stuff you want, do a little digging.  You never know what you might find out there.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment