Saturday, May 2, 2015

12 in 12 - He Shoots, He Saves

A month or so ago, Sal over at Puck Junk posted a book review that had me very intrigued.  It also had me thinking back a few years to some of my fine photography skills.

Sal reviewed Jon Waldman's latest hockey hobby offering "He Shoots, He Saves: The Story Of Hockey's Collectible Treasures".  Sounds like it'd be right up my alley.

In fact, I put it on my wishlist for my birthday and my nephew got the hint. He wrapped it up like he always does - with tender loving care with reckless abandon and watched as I gawked over it after tearing apart the paper.

I'll be honest, I had ulterior motives to wanting this title.

You see, this book isn't just a what's what of hockey "stuff".  It's got a little bit of Linden inside - courtesy of yours truly.

That is the same Trevor Linden Rookie Of The Year button that currently sits in my closet.....somewhere.  It was one of about a dozen or so photos I took for this book after Jon sent out the call for submissions.

While I wasn't prepared to scan in the entire collection (that's for my own book to come), I did offer up some pretty unique oddball items.

Sadly, the Linden portion of this book is pretty sparse and this ROTY button was the only item to make the cut.

But that doesn't mean my photo skills weren't still on display.

One of my favorite goalie mask collectibles are these posters from the 1988 Calgary Olympic displays.  I snagged the collection of four years ago and they still garner a bit of attention.

I thought it was pretty cool to see some of my hockey collection make it into a mainstream book.

Now I'm looking forward to reading about the wonderful world of hockey collectibles.  And if you get a chance to pick up a copy - please do so.  Or if you'd like to get a little more insight first - read Sal's review.

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool that two of your items made the cut and are in the book. Congratulations.

    That Trevor Lindon button was just the kind of item I was hoping to see -- something that someone outside of Vancouver might not have any knowledge of. I just wish the book told me more about it. Maybe you can; was it a giveaway at a game, or sold at the concession stand? What's the story on the Linden pin? Maybe write a blog post about it.

    The Mask poster was cool, too, but again I wish the book told me about the exhibit I'd love to own that poster with the numerous masks on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sal. Thanks. I have to get my thinking cap on when it comes to that Linden button. I'm not sure how they were distributed, but I know it was to gain support for Trev during the heated Rookie Of The Year voting. Brian Leetch was the eventual winner and in my opinion it could have gone either way.

      I also remember Don Cherry wearing it one time on Coach's Corner.

      I'll see what other nuggets I can find.

      And I totally hear you. I'd love a book that's full of "nuggets".

      Delete