Saturday, August 1, 2015

LINDEN CARD OF THE WEEK - Jumping Back In

I took a quick peek at my ebay buying history through the first seven months of 2015 and was surprised to see less than a dozen purchases.  Combined with the local trades and purchases, I'm thinking that I've landed only about 20 or so cards for my Linden collection so far this year.

Of course there was my summer hiatus (of sorts) and not too many new offerings early in the year, but I think I can chalk up this decline in purchasing to one thing - lack of interest.

I've seen numerous cards cross my path over the last while - heck, I even inquired about a triple patch /3 and an Artifacts auto /5.....and am hesitant to pull any sort of trigger.  Most of the time I just say to myself "I'll wait until the next one" or "Pass....still too high a price" when realistically the asking price is fair.

The Canadian dollar does factor in on my decisions even more now.  It's horrible.  And add to that the tough shipping prices from the States and a $20us card can quickly become a $50-60cdn investment.

Ultimately though, I think this "funk" is more about the lack of excitement towards my player collection.  There are very few cards that have got me truly excited to chase.  I've had more fun landing cards that have been on my list for over a decade than the "new" offerings from many of the products he's in.

Over the past week, Linden has been plastered into the new Leaf/ITG product "In The Game Used".  32 cards - and many of them with high, high starting prices.  I just can't compete with that volume at that price.  I learned my lesson a few years ago.

It just takes a bit of the wind out of my sail when I see 30, 40 , 50 auctions and I don't see myself bidding on any of them.

Surprisingly I did come away with one card this weekend.  It's a triple patch /5.  It was set at a good price, but the currency rates made me decide to ask for a lower price.  I was surprised to get it.

It's a start.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the local shows and trade nights might fetch in terms of picking anything up in person.  I'm optimistic...but very cautious.

I do have one card to show off.  I didn't even have to leave my house to get it.

2014/15 Upper Deck
#86 SP Authentic

It's a base card.  Nothing special....other than the fact it was gifted to me.  I always appreciate those that are keeping an eye out for me and my Linden collection.  There are a lot (heck...most everyone) locally who know I chase anything with his name on it.

Thanks to Captain Canuck for the help on this one.  Another one off the list.

And I'm looking forward to another season of chasing......I just need to warm up a bit getting back on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment