Thursday, August 15, 2024

BEHIND THE MASKS - My New Plante Addition Is Absolutely... Magnifique

Switching things up a bit...it's not a new Linden card. :)

But this item has some real coolness to it and sits perfectly within my collection.

I've been a goalie mask nut for a very long time. I tell people that I'm a sucker for a mask. I think it's without question the most unique piece of equipment across the entire sporting landscape. There is nothing else like it. It protects...but it also showcases character. No two are identical and the stories behind them are endless.

Over the years, I've collected the various goalie mask sets that have been released, found myself dabbling in other mask-related items and love to find things that relate back to the originator...Jacques Plante.

This little booklet hits the nail on the head.

1971/72 O-Pee-Chee
#4 "The Story Of..." Booklet (French)

These card-sized comic booklets were an insert set included in the 71/72 OPC offering. They were 8 pages in length and provided a consise biography of the featured player. A checklist of all 24 booklets were on the back page and featured a who's who of hockey stars from that era.

I've seen these a number of times at the local shows and while they look cool, I've never really picked any up. But a stop over at the local card shop a while back had me discover a handful of the french booklets (something I don't see hardly at all). 

As you can see in the picture above, the condition of this Plante is superb...dare I say, magnifique. And it was sitting in one of their discount boxes...so the price was equally as nice.

Ok, my one beef with this booklet comes from the drawings of the mask Jacques is wearing.

As the guy who is responsible for introducing the goalie mask to pro hockey back in 1959, you'd think there would be a tiny bit of attention to detail. Plante's mask looks less like the one he wore and more like a street hockey shield. My other question is...why is Plante wearing a blue sweater??? (shoulder shrug)

Can't win 'em all, I guess.

I still love the fact that I have another small, tough to find piece of goalie mask history in my collction. I never did pick up an english version of the comic...now I have a reason to.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool collectible. First time seeing one of these hockey comic inserts. In 1970 Topps put out a similar set for baseball fans and I picked one up a few years ago.

    Hockey masks are very intriguing. I loved all the 90's mask sets. I never tried to build any, but every now and then I'd pull one or pick one up.

    ReplyDelete