Friday, August 16, 2024

LINDEN CARD OF THE WEEK - Completionist Or Crazy??

Sometimes I think I'm a little off my rocker about my Linden collecting. I'll just start with that.

A number of years ago, I decided that I would add "cameo" cards to my master Trevor Linden checklist. A cameo is when a player is pictured on someone else's card. It could be alongside, battling in front of the net, celebrating in a group hug after a goal, chilling out on the bench sharing a story, or just gliding in the background.

In total, there have been about 10-12 instances of Linden cameo cards out there and when I find them...I add them to the list. It fun, and usually inexpensive. Sure, there are times when parallels pop up...and me being the completist, I cave and add them all.

Foreshadowing.

I had a friend mention to me a few years ago that he saw Trev in the background of a card. He sent me a pic and sure enough, he was there...barely. I was on the fence if I should even add it to the list as I knew it could balloon into some trouble.

Foreshadowing.

1999/00 Be A Player Millenium
#92 Aaron Ward Emerald  /10

When this card popped up on my radar, I decided that the chase for some new Linden cameos was most definitely on. When the toughest card to obtain is the first one you see...and for a really good price, it's near impossible for me to ignore.

And yeah...I still can't believe I'm buying cards of a no-name player (sorry Aaron) just because it's got a fleeting image of Linden in the background.

That's him...without question. Captain of the Islanders. :)

But in my defense, to see the uber-tough Emerald copy /10 show up really made deciding things a lot easier. The Emeralds are so hard to find (I have a few Linden's from around that time that are still on my wantlist) and most people want an arm and a leg for them. Not in this case...thankfully.

So in addng this line to the master list, I decided to reference the Linden offerings from the same product - so I could match the amount of parallels that are available. And there's a bunch of them.

A whole bunch. Color variants, signed cards, show cards.

Foreshadowing.

Ugh...show cards.

Did I say a bunch?? Yeah, I binged...binged hard. Ha ha! Oh my goodness, I have mini-PC of Aaron Ward now...all with a little slice of Linden to make me laugh.

The completist in me couldn't let these go. How could I not. They do look kind of cool all grouped together in their class photo. And I accept the fact that I may be a little crazy when it comes to my Linden collecting. But a good Aaron Ward story only adds to the awesomeness of my collection. 

Ha!...I can't believe I said that.


What's the most you have stretched in terms of boundaries to add to your player PC? What are the limits? Would the Aaron Ward situation cut it in your hobby world?

1 comment:

  1. I have picked up cameo cards for player collections... but not to the extent of adding parallels. As for boundaries... I added a candy bar wrapper featuring Gwynn. There was a time when I was looking for an intact candy bar. I eventually stopped, because I didn't want to store a 30 year candy bar in my collection.

    ReplyDelete