Monday, September 16, 2024

HHOF AUTOS - Sundin Upgrade

Wow! Five full years since I've made an update to my hard-signed Hall Of Fame autograph project. Out of all my side projects, this one has fallen furthest from the wayside. 

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. :)

In all honesty, the situation hasn't popped up where I've seen new autos to trade for (one of the rules of this project). No trading...no new cards.

However, that changed this past weekend.

I've always enjoyed this Mats Sundin signature card that sits in my HOF auto collection. I don't think he has a ton of signed cards (in comparison to other stars of his stature) and I do like seeing him as captain of the Leafs...it's how most will remember him.

When I went to the local monthly show on Sunday, I happened to chat it up with a longtme hobby friend (and host of a certain Sports Cards Live podcast) and the conversation hit upon many topics. I had brought a few card to send off for consignment and he noticed one that he said he'd like to trade for.

Trade? I like to trade.

I quickly found a few cards that caught my eye and we worked out a fantastic deal. I'm so super pumped with the new additions.

First one I'll share is the new upgrade for my Mats Sundin auto...

Mats Sundin
(inducted in 2012)

I said most will remember Mats as a Leaf...I remember him very well when he came into the league with the Nordiques.

I love everything about this card. Great horizontal layout, simple design, wonderful photograph from the time period, the Nordiques vibrant uniform, how about that helmet, and of course, the hard signed autograph (in gold pen).

I knew the moment I saw it that it would fit very nicely into the collection.

And now, I have a new Sundin auto for the trade box. That's cool too.

I'll share some of my other pickups from the trade in the coming posts. Needless to say, it's got my hockey (and hobby) motor running as we head into a new season.

Thanks very much Jeremy for the trade and for your words, approach and attitude towards this great hobby. I'm very grateful.


Current Collection - 82 HOF Autos

4 comments:

  1. Love that this project is still going! I've been thinking back a lot lately to when I did my HHOF project and how much fun it was. And then I've been sometimes lamenting the fact that I got rid of them all :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Casey! The trading aspect has made this a really enjoyable project.

      I decided to split up my 1 vs 100 project which I completed years ago. I thought “I can always build it again if I want” so that helped me finally make the decision.

      Delete
  2. Yeah... Sundin is a tough autograph to track down. He didn't sign nearly as much as other NHL stars from that era. You should keep both... one to represent his time in Quebec... and the other for his time in Toronto. I never even knew that he had an autograph on a Nordiques card. That's super cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. That auto on a Nordiques card = stunner. I like both…and am in no rush to part with the other one.

      Delete