Friday, September 13, 2024

OPINION - Yeah...I'd Do It

A couple days ago, I caught a story on Instagram that made me stop and think...for more than just a few moments. I actually stopped scrolling - ha!

It got me pondering just how far I'd go to justify adding an item to my player collection. 

The item I saw was super unique to consider adding - and a very fun conversation starter.

Seems harmless enough. It's just a Marc Andre Fleury figurine depicting a pretty massive diving save.

To an MAF collector, I'd think this would be a no-brainer to add to the wantlist. It would be a very cool display item or (like me) keep it in the box in pristine conditon...and then find another to crack out of the case later on. :)

And if you want to see the actual save...check it out...

Tremendous! Definite save of the year candidate. Fleury just is cementing himself as one of the all-time great goalies. It's hard to deny that. He's a lock to be a Hall of Famer.

Now, take a closer look at the original IG post. It's not a Marc Andre Fleury collector who posted it.

Watch the highlight again. See where I'm going with this?

Would you, as a Nic Petan collector want to add this MAF piece to your collection? It's obvious that Petan is inextricably linked to this save. How many times do we see an unworldly dive at the last moment and immediately think of the sniper who got robbed? Players screaming to the rafters and rolling their eyes in disbelief. 

I bet Petan was doing his fair share of it on that night.

So the question remains...would you want that reminder in your collection?

Initially, I think it would bring some snickers...a humourous thought for sure. But there's some definite validity and a strong argument for as well.

I think it's a pretty darn cool item - definitely unique. I feel like I'd add it in an unofficial capacity. Chase it, but only if the price is right. And I don't think it'd get a mention on my master checklist...but it would likely be front of mind when I'd go to shows or card shops. I'd be looking for it.

I saw this as I was doing my search for the figurine. Official signed photos...I'm sure there are posters and all that too. Maybe not everything needs to be on the radar. :)

There are limits, no question. I can say pretty confidently that if it was a certain New York Ranger goalie making that save in game 7 of the 1994 Stanley Cup series, I'd likely pass on his bobblehead. And let's not dare mention the other Ranger (that we will never talk about).

A cool figurine for sure and a fantastic debate on how much we as collectors will morph our boundaraies to justify and add an item.


What's the biggest stretch you've put on convincing yourself to add an item to your collection? Do you still think it belongs? Any regrets?

2 comments:

  1. A. What an amazing play! As a Sharks fans, it's hard to root for the Knights... but I do every now and then in honor of my mom who loved them.

    B. I'd love to one day own a dual signed copy of card #5 from the 1989 Fleer World Series set. As much as pains me to watch Gibson hit that home run off of Eck... it's still such a cool moment in baseball history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleury is a goalie I like to cheer for too. He has a way about him that I enjoy.

      That Gibson HR is so crazy iconic. I can see remember exactly where I was watching that game when it happened. Yeah…that would be a love/hate card. 👍

      Delete