Tuesday, March 9, 2010

LINDEN CARD OF THE WEEK - 2005/06 Upper Deck Notable Numbers autograph /16

This Linden card is one of my favorite autographed cards. It was one of the first cards that made me realize that getting my Linden collection to the "next level" was going to take a bit more of an investment.


2005/06 Upper Deck
Notable Numbers #N-TL /16

This card is the only Trevor Linden card that I have ever had to redeem from Upper Deck.

A few years ago, the redemption program was not as chaotic as it now seems. I went to the local card show and one of the vendors had held a Linden card for me. He showed me a redemption card for the Trevor Linden Notable Numbers auto. Now I knew about this card...only 16 copies printed (numbered to the player's jersey #), a highly sought after set and of course - it's my player. So definitely I was interested. I honestly didn't think I'd find one at a card show.

So I asked how much. Hoping to hear $40, $50 maybe even $60.

"$120".

Gak! I was speechless. Part of me wanted to complain about the price gouging, part of me wanted to just walk away. Deep down though, I knew that this might be the one and only shot I get at this card. I knew of a few guys who had it already in their collection, and with a redemption card...it's always a hit or miss.

I thought about it and decided to pull the trigger. I figured I'd cut back on some other cards to compensate. $120 on a piece of cardboard that didn't have Trevor's mug on it, nor his autograph.

I immediately went home and redeemed the card. Time seemed to drag on week after week. I was starting to regret the purchase.

It was a good 6-8 weeks later that I received a package in the mail from Upper Deck. I tore the envelope open and staring at me was this card. Immediately, I knew I had made the right decision in purchasing the card. It's one of the nicest in my collection.

Since then, I have seen these cards go for about what I paid (believe it or not, I've seen about 4 come up for sale or trade online). Sometimes more, sometimes less. The nice thing is, I don't lose sleep over my purchase. I have thought about it a lot though. It wasn't the first time I shelled out $100+ for a Linden card, I've done it many times since and I know it won't be the last time. I'm ok with that. As long as I stay within the boundaries I set for my collection, I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment