Thursday, July 21, 2011

BEHIND THE MASKS - Inspired Trade

Well, I picked up my problematic computer tonight on my way to 'traders night'. I think I wasted my money on the computer repair. So why not push forward and blow some more cash at the LCS.

Actually, the card store I go to just moved locations and so it was a chance to check out the new stomping grounds. It's still a fair trek to get to the store, but it's worth it.

In addition to a few rounds of pack wars (I was shutout tonight), I picked up a box of Panini's newest release - Zenith. Stay tuned and see if I 'Dare To Tear'.

On the trading front, I had one of my better nights. That said, I somehow forgot to complete a trade for a hard-signed Linden Decades auto. Oh well, there's always next month.

Here's a pair of pickups that go into the goalie mask category.


2008/09 Canadiens Centennial Set
Memorable Moments
#292 Jacques Plante - The Mask

This was a no brainer when I saw it. It's an iconic photo (in my eyes at least) and represents a pivotal moment in hockey history.

Plus, it's one sweet looking photo and mask.


2010/11 Between The Pipes
Inspired Masks
#IM-10 Kari Lehtonen

This is one set that I've been wanting to start, but the price point just hasn't dropped enough (I'm looking to get cards under the $10 mark).

So 'free' is always nice.

I love the text on the back of the card...

"Lehtonen doesn't wear his mask featuring martial arts legend Chuck Norris, the mask wears him!"

Hilarious.

And while the design may seem simplistic, the artwork more than makes up for it. A fantastic job of capturing a realistic element and still maintaining the ability to showcase the mask.

Great stuff.

1 comment: