Friday, March 29, 2013

12 in 12 - March Review

Another month has quickly come and gone and with that another book has been flipped through.

I'm really enjoying this monthly read and have made Tuesday "library nights" with my niece and nephew a staple in my weekly routine (very, very enjoyable).

Both January and February brought stellar reads and I knew the expectation couldn't remain that high through the year.  While that may be the case here, I think for the most part any sports read can be a good read.

March's book was about the world's most famous baseball card.

The Card
Michael O'Keeffe and Teri Thompson
245 pages

Inspired to finally read this book by the recent 30 for 30 short on the infamous "Gretzky" T206 Wagner card, The Card starts with some backstory on the card itself.  It was a little tough to keep track of all the players involved in the incredible trip this piece of 100+ year old cardboard has taken.

The book pops around from subject to subject.  Going from the height of popularity in the early 90's with Gretzky and Bruce McNall's purchase of the card, PSA grading, Honus Wagner himself, memorabilia collecting in general and just the overall theme of "authenticity".

I enjoyed the book and I found it amazing that one item can generate such a boom in a number of industries across the board.

I did feel that there was some stuff missing.  I would have loved to have heard from some of the key players who decided not to participate in being interviewed.  It would have been interesting to hear from all sides.  As well, I would love to be a fly on the wall when the cameras and microphones are gone.

What wasn't in the book?  That's what I'm left thinking about.

3 out of 5


April's book...

No comments:

Post a Comment