Friday, April 5, 2013

1 vs. 100 - How Low Can I Go?

Trade night tonight and it was a very successful trip.  I managed to find not one.....but TWO cards for my '1 vs. 100' project.  That's pretty amazing since I haven't really been hunting these final cards down (and when you see the serial numbers you'll be even more impressed).

Upon arriving at the card store, I decided to take a casual look through the display cases.  It's a fun way to kill a few minutes and see some goodies (most of which I'll never own).  Some amazing looking cards out there.

While glancing, I came across a card /7 (on the list).  I asked what the price was for the card and it was right in the wheelhouse of something to consider.

I kept that info in the back of my head all night.

Later in the evening, I asked if maybe we could work out a trade for the card.  "Sure".  That's all I needed to hear.  It didn't take long before we had the start of what would be a big trade.

2010/11 Upper Deck SP Game Used
Authentic Fabric Five
#AF5 SWEDE Zetterberg/Franzen/Backstrom/Hornqvist/D. Sedin  /7

Wow!  This was pretty much the perfect card for the pc.  Low numbered, but with a couple guys who don't have strong hobby followings.  And while the Nashville and Vancouver patches are solid, the other three are less than desirable.

Here's the back.  See what I mean.

And did you notice that the Sedin and Hornqvist patches are on the wrong side?  Even nicer for a guy who only really cares about the serial number.

But it gets better.

The card I was asked to trade in return was a little more than this Authentics Fabrics Five.  I was asked if there was anything else I was interested in.

WARNING:  The following card may be offensive to some viewers.

I ended up finding a card, but it is revolting to me that this guy gets some more face time on my blog.  Just goes to show you that this project is truly about the serial numbers....not the player.

I can't believe he's in it......and low - very low.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
2008/09 Upper Deck SP Game Used
Famous Fight Straps
#FS-MM Mark Messier  /3

Ugh!

The lowest number left on the list.  In a Rangers uniform (just taunting me).  It's a gorgeous card but for the player.

But I had to have it.  It's not often that a card /3 comes available for trade.

We worked out a deal and the pair came home with me.  I still can't believe it.  Messier.

But with that card I can officially say that I have snagged all the single digit numbers on the list.  That's a huge accomplishment.  It also puts me over the 90% mark.  I don't care what anybody says, 90 is a magical number in this hobby.

Ugh.  Messier.  That's pretty low.  Pretty low indeed.

91 out of 100  (91%)

5 comments:

  1. Are there more collectors who dislike Messier than like him? At least in the blogging world, I believe it would be true. He is the great necessary evil at times. I nearly considered completing my HOF auto collection without him, but caved because a good deal came along.

    That five player patch card is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno.....I hear a lot of "I don't like Messier" talk so I'm going to say - YES.

      That, plus it makes me happier if more people dislike him.

      He is though the great necessary evil at times. You are bang on with that.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do. At least it's early on in the sequence, so you can forget about it when you're looking at the collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.

      That.....or a piece of hockey tape to cover the photo and name.

      (only the serial number is really needed. Right?)

      Delete
  3. Exactly. The serial number is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete