Monday, April 1, 2013

CUSTOM CREATIONS - Well, It Finally Happened

The past few weeks have been a little slow for me here on the blog, and for good reason.  There's been some behind the scenes workings on a very special project that is about 2 years in the making.

Some of you dedicated readers might remember the custom cards I built for a concept called "Backplates".

The idea is very simple - much like the goalie mask card focuses in on the front of the mask, these backplate cards will celebrate some of the interesting (and often personal) messages painted on the back.

These rarely seen parts of the mask will be a first in the trading card industry.  That's right - this concept has been given the green light and the final checklist has been announced.  20 cards in all...all current NHLers.

And am I ever PUMPED!!!!!

This is as close to the final mockup of the card design that I can show you at this time.  This Budaj will not be a part of the set but holds a very special place in my custom building portfolio as it is the backplate that I used when I presented this concept two years ago.

So why now?  Well, with the advent of artist sketches, the ability to build such a set becomes infinitely easier.  Photos only need to be used as guides.  The final card will have a similar artist style as the main goalie mask insert set (since the same artist was used).

The back of the card will give a bit of backstory (see how I did that) on the design and why it is important for the player to have it painted on his mask.  Some great stories and it was very difficult to narrow down the players to just twenty.

The best part - I was asked to be involved in all aspects of the set.  From final approval of the design to the player selection to even writing up the text on the back.  Never in my wildest dreams could I have expected something like this to happen.

So how soon can you get your grubby little paws on some of these gems?  Well certainly not today.......cause it's April Fool's Day!!!

7 comments:

  1. I should have known. It was too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, that's too bad I seriously would of PAID someone ACTUAL MONEY to make a 60 card set of all the current NHL goalies with their backplates., It's seriously a sweet Idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FINALLY!

    An ITG product to be excited about!

    Oh wait. Nevermind... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! You got me! But, I am reading a week late.

    ReplyDelete