Saturday, May 30, 2015

OUTSIDE THE BOX - Marques Haynes

I meant to post this last week and I'm kind of kicking myself that I forgot.

I recently heard of Hall of Fame Harlem Globetrotter Marques Haynes' passing and was saddened to hear that one of the game's most important figures was no longer with us.

He was a Globetrotter when the team was more than just about silly antics and hail mary plays.  He was known as one of the best ballhandlers ever - EVER and (in my opinion) revolutionized the small-man's role in the game.

This write-up from The Washinton Post has a couple of great videos in addition to some incredible numbers.

Hearing of Marques' passing also had me dig out this card I had sitting in the collection.

It's from the 2008 Donruss Sports Legends set and shows Haynes in his Globetrotters gear with a game-used piece of jersey in the card.  I picked up the card because I was in a bit of a Harlem Globetrotters vibe at the time.

I had heard that the team was coming to town and got a little sentimental when I decided to take my niece and nephew to the game.  I also got a little motivated to try and obtain an interview with an all-time Globetrotter great.

You can check out the full story here......and believe me, it was an incredible experience.

You can see my Haynes card as part of the last page of the article.

It's card I'm glad I didn't get rid of and will proudly store it as part of my personal collection.

oh, and if you feel a little nostalgic towards the Globetrotters yourself, be sure to check out the fantastic documentary, The Team That Changed The World.



1 comment:

  1. I never have seen them live. I of course have seen them on tv. As I kid the closest I ever got was when the Harlem Crowns came to town.
    It wasn't the Globetrotters, but it was close enough for me.

    ReplyDelete