Saturday, September 19, 2015

TO THE BIKE SPOKES!!! - Greg Maddux

It's been a long time since I've shared a lovely card moments before putting them in the bike spokes.  Not that there's been nothing out there to share (ITG Used and their Esposito episode...I'm looking at you and your friends), but I just haven't taken the time to scan anything up.

But when I participated in some pack ripping at the monthly trade night, I found a gem that not only needed to be in the spotlight, it reminded me of one of the all-time great crappy cards in my collection.

Years ago, I shared a gem of a card from a terribly ugly set concept - Be A Player Signature Series Golf.  This Paul Kariya offering might go down as one of the worst hockey cards ever.

What I found even funnier is that not too long ago I decided to part with it. Seems someone is legitimately doing the set.  Hey....to each their own.

But now I can say that I have replaced it with something equally as offensive.  Yes, it's baseball....but it's still golf.

2015 Topps Stadium Club
Greg Maddux #259

Holy crap, I don't know what's worse...the fact that this guy is one of the all-time greatest pitchers in Major League history, or that Topps decided to use THIS photo in their product release.

There are a ton of great photos used in this set.  Paul Molitor, George Brett (fave pic) and Derek Jeter are perfect examples of what a card photo should be.  Greg chipping from the bunker is not.

Maybe I'm a little more sensitive because it's Maddux - my all-time favorite pitcher.  He was dominant as a Cub and I hated to love him as a Brave, but the numbers don't lie.

And it's a shame he wasn't the first player to ever be inducted to the Hall Of Fame unanimously (some people and their silly shenanigans...sheesh).

But to honor his accomplishments with a golf pic straight out of the 90's does him no justice.....and makes the decision easy.

For the disservice in honoring one of the greatest pitchers - ever......


PPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

TO THE BIKE SPOKES!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment