Sunday, March 19, 2017

LINDEN CARD OF THE WEEK - 2016/17 Artifacts Autofacts

While the local card show yesterday might not have been as exciting as one would hope, the mailbox at my house is starting to heat up.

I've taken a few more stabs at cards on eBay and have actually managed to reel in a few bites.  Always nice to add to the main pc, bet even more exciting when those cards come at a reasonable price.

I've been way more patient with my purchasing over the past while and this new habit is resting on me just fine.  I'm really not stressing it when I see a new product release with 20...30...40 new Linden cards to chase.  Most I've come to accept as ones that will never join my collection - just too many cards that are so low numbered.  The math just doesn't add up.

I've seen a few collectors succumb to the demands of being a player completionist and in some instances given up collecting altogether.  I think that's a shame.  Yes, the economy isn't what is used to be and yes, there are many things more important than cards....but to leave the key on the counter as you exit the building just seems like a drastic decision.

For me, I'm keeping my completionist attitude.....just altering the pace at which I chase.  I find a lot of enjoyment in just keeping my master checklist up to date (I know.......boring right?) and landing the odd card here or there just fulfills the collector's urge in me.  I hope it never dies (I don't think it will....I'm too far into this now to bail on it).

Speaking of landing a new card....here's what arrived on Friday.

2016/17 Upper Deck Artifacts
#A-TL Autofacts

I remember back in the day when the Artifacts "parallel hell" wasn't just limited to the base card varieties but the autographed cards too.  I still vividly remember finally finding a tough sig /10 to quell any thoughts of never finding the tough chase.

Now, the signature cards are unnumbered and are categorized by their insertion numbers.  Some are regular issued, some are short printed and some....the dreaded SSP.  This Linden falls into that category (actually....to be completely accurate, it's an SSSP).

Four different categories of autos in the Autofacts set.  Group D is the most commonly inserted (1:111 packs), while the Linden is a Group A (1:1,548 packs).  And that doesn't mean a Linden in every 1,500+ packs....that's just Group A signature cards.

So when I saw the first few copies pop up on the secondary market, I knew I'd be sitting back.  People can sometimes go crazy on the first wave of new cards.  I'm more than happy to sit back and wait for a price that I'm comfortable with.

That chance occurred a couple weeks ago and I was happy with the price.

After opening up the envelope, I can confidently say that I'm happy with the card too.

Now, speaking of cards that can sometimes go crazy during that first wave....

Fleer Showcase has just been released and part of their inserts include buybacks from the "iconic" 92/93 season....some of which get the autograph treatment (like the Linden....which I stole the scan of off eBay).

I must say that for a card you couldn't give away, Upper Deck certainly has got me excited about chasing this one down.  Slap a serial number on it and a hard signed autograph and all of the sudden this piece of cardboard starts to look pretty good.

Buybacks seem to be a hot insert concept of late.  Upper Deck had some buybacks a couple years ago from their iconic 90/91 set and Score had their Recollection Collection autos.  In The Game purged all of their remaining stock in Final Vault and I've noticed my Oscar Gamble collection has more buybacks out over the past 2-3 years than actual newly released cards.

So what gives?  Why the popularity?  Is it the harkening back to "the good ol' days"?  I can't see cards like these giving a sense of "added value" to a product......it was kindling up until a few weeks ago when the signature got slapped on it.

For me, I like these cards in small doses (this single insertion of Linden into the Fleer Showcase product is fantastic).  A simple, yet attainable, chase.

Not like the parallel hell of Vault and Artifacts.  Irk.

5 comments:

  1. I'm into buybacks big time, I think it's maybe reliving the rush of acquiring some of the same cards I loved getting as a kid. I like the Showcase Ultra buybacks, picked up just one so far that I'll be showing off as soon as it arrives. I saw the Linden version you showed here and immediately thought of you. Good luck, hope you can land one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.....I've enjoyed your Franken-set project so I know you're a big fan. I really need to dig out some of mine as I'm sure I'd have a couple you need.

      Saw a Gilmour pulled at the show on Saturday that looked great. The Linden will (hopefully....eventually) be a nice add.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. FYI....There's a Linden Ultra auto buyback that ends on Saturday. Auction listing. Not mine but, I thought I'd let you know if for some unknown reason you weren't aware of it.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/142319424162?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one missed my radar!! Thanks very much for the heads up. :)

      Much appreciated.

      Delete