Wednesday, September 12, 2012

30 in 30 - Three More For The List

Well, it's getting closer to October 1.  That's the day I have slated to start my '30 in 30' project.  So between now and then I will have to finish my list, track down all the docs on the list and get the popcorn ready.

Here's three more sports documentaries I'm adding to the list...


Deep Water is the story about the first solo, non-stop, round-the-world boat race and the psychological toll it took on its competitors.  The main focus is on an amateur sailor named Donald Crowhurst and takes place in 1968.  Facing isolation for nine months on the high seas, this movie claims it is "an unforgettable journey into one mans heart of darkness".

Why not.  Here's the trailer...



From the archives of the NFB (National Film Board) of Canada comes King of the Hill.  No, not the animated show on Fox, but a documentary about Chicago Cubs star pitcher (and one of the greatest Canadian ballplayers of all time) Fergie Jenkins.

Could be a fun watch just for the 70's footage alone.



Last comes a documentary that has eluded me for years.  I knew it existed (because I vividly remember seeing chunks of it on TV back in the 90's).  Inside NFL Films: The Idol Makers is about (duh) NFL Films.  Produced by National Geographic, this is a stunning look at the team that puts together the tremendous stories of the NFL - not just the sport, but the people.

I NEED TO TRACK DOWN A COPY!!!  This one is a must see.


Man I want to see this one bad.  I've checked ebay and there are just a couple of VHS copies available....and I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger.





'30 in 30' - LIST OF MOVIES
1. Hoop Dreams
2. Murderball
3. The Endless Summer
4. Pumping Iron
5. Undefeated
6. Michael Jordan: To The Max
7. Bobby Fischer Against The World
8. Jim Brown: All American
9. Tyson
10. Knuckleball
11. Magic and Bird: A Courtship Of Rivals
12. Touching The Void
13. The Curious Case Of Curt Flood
14. The Last Gladiators
15. Sonicsgate: Requiem For A Team
16. Never Say Die: The Story of the New York Islanders
17. The Game Of Their Lives
18. More Than A Game
19. Fire In Babylon
20. The Dream Team
21. TT3D: Closer To The Edge



New additions.....
22. Deep Water
23. King Of The Hill
24. Inside NFL Films: The Idol Makers

2 comments:

  1. Netflix currently is showing "Summit on Ice". It is a 20 year retrospective of the Summit Series. I was 13 years shy of being born in 1972, but my dad was at Maple Leaf Gardens for game 2.

    After seeing the doc, we spoke for hours about the game and series; and it definitely brought back some good memories for him. It's one of the few hockey docs I could find.

    After checking out your list, you're in for a treat with 'The Dream Team', 'More Than a Game', and 'Sonicsgate'.

    'Senna' is also worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summit On Ice is s beaut. I'm a sucker for anything Summit Series. It still captures my attention and inner child.

      I was fortunate enough to see Senna on the big screen months back and really enjoyed it. I'm still on the lookout for that one on DVD as I'd love to add it to the collection.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete