Thursday, September 20, 2012

OUTSIDE THE BOX - Creative Choices

"Collecting cards is just too expensive these days".  "Card producers have priced me right out of the hobby".  "There's nothing out there these days that excites me".

Sadly, the number of disgruntled collectors seems to grow with every passing year.  It could be the resistance to an ever-evolving hobby, the disinterest in what "used to be" or maybe it's just boredom with the routine that collecting can become.

Whatever it may be, I think that there's always a benefit and excitement in creativity.  Uniqueness in a set build can be something that generates drive and interest in pursuing that next card.

And by creativity........I mean from the collector - not the card companies.

Case in point - my 'Raise The Cup' project.

When I started collecting cards showcasing players holding the Stanley Cup over their head, it was more out of curiosity.  A simple comment by a reader had me search out some singles.  1 became 3, 3 became 30 and today my collection sits just under the 100 card mark.

And it's been one of the more fun projects to build.

I never know when I might find a new addition, I don't go out with wild purpose and deep pockets in search of as many as I can find.  It's been a nice, casual pc build with a huge emphasis on fun.

And what's nicer - it's not costing me an arm and a leg.  In fact, most cards have been obtained for mere pennies (with a few given to me as gifts).


So where am I going with all this?

Well, the other day I was spinning through the card blogging world and dropped in on one of my favorite blogs.  Bob Lemke's Blog.  Consisting of some great looking customs paying homage to a fantastic vintage era, amazing stories of players or events that just wouldn't get face time anywhere else and sharing ideas - creative ideas - for collecting, this is definitely a blog to check out.

It was some recent posts about "themed" projects that had a smile on my face and the hamster in my brain running quick in that wheel.

Some of the unique themed sets Bob has built from his huge card collection has not only inspired this post, but might down the road lead me to other side projects.

Just take a look at some of the great ideas he's come up with...

(literally)



(yes....that's what cellphones used to look like)



The themes are endless.  Anything you can think up, you can build.

What I love about each and every one of these projects is that it can be done with the smallest of budgets.  A person can build a unique looking set without breaking the bank.

Searching for cards, tracking them down - all of it can lead to hours and hours of enjoyment.

I came up with a couple more possible ideas for hockey.

Masterful Moustaches

Punishing Checks

My Mask Is White...I Just Got Traded


And one other that Bob actually beat me to...

Can you see the theme here?

Again, whatever creative idea you can come up with.

Thanks very much Bob for giving me a ton of inspiration and a great deal of joy in seeing your various collections.  Keep up the great work!


So do you have any ideas for a collection to build?  Have you started building a creative collection?

4 comments:

  1. If you do a hockey moustache collection, let me know because I can hook you up with some stuff. I thought about doing a similar collection before but never got around to it.

    By the by, I've always enjoyed your raising the cup collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I appreciate it. I'll keep that in mind.

      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. The Gatorade one reminds me of an idea I've always had to collect cards with a certain advertisement clearly visible on the boards in the picture.

    For example, this could be cards that clearly show the Coca-Cola logo or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post... what a fun/creative way to collect. I've never thought of doing any of these things... but I have weird PC's like my damaged card collection, a draft busts collection, and a surfer collection.

    ReplyDelete