Thursday, December 19, 2013

PARKIE PROJECT - Meatball Added

(HUGE EXHALE)

Today is the first day of my holiday time off from work.  After a number of long, busy, stressful weeks, it was all about sleeping in and lounging this morning.  And boy did I love it.

Now to spend the afternoon finishing my Christmas shopping.

But first, I thought I'd share the newest addition to my newest project.

1951/52 Parkhurst
#65 - Metro "Meatball" Prystai RC

This card came as part of a package from a fellow Linden collector.  He had sent some Linden cards (which I'll show off in a post later this week) that he picked up on my behalf and added this Parkie as a little holiday gift.

Thanks Kevin!  It's a perfect fit to my project.

Out of the four cards I know have, this one has the nicest corners for sure.  The centering is nice (which is part of the aesthetic bar I'm setting) and the color is still strong.

A slight surface crease in the upper right (which is near impossible to see unless you tilt it to the light) is really the only blemish other than the tape residue.  The tape residue is not overwhelming and it adds some character to this card.

A very memorable card in the collection.  Now, and for the duration of my set progress.

I decided to do a google search on Prystai since I knew nothing of the player.  I was surprised to see that he has his own webpage.  Seems there's a book being done on his life.

Dmytro "Metro" Prystai started his career with Chicago, had three All-Star appearances and won two Stanley Cups with the Red Wings.  He scored the Cup-winning goal in the '52 series which he called "the best team he ever played for".

The name "meatball" also appears as a nickname on the card.  Would it be because of his Ukrainian heritage or his interactions with the Chicago mafia?  Whatever it might be, I don't think a nickname like that would end up on a card these days.

Although his NHL career only lasted 10 years, it looks like he had an impact during his time in the league.  Some regard him as the nicest guy to play the game.

He just recently passed away at the age of 85.

BV $40-60


Thanks again Kevin for the great add.  I really appreciate it.

I'm going to try to add one more card to this set during the holiday season, but nothing is written in stone.  I want to go at a reasonable pace and definitely price (the right price) comes into play on all pickups for this project.

Parkie Progress - 4 out of 105  (3.8%)

2 comments:

  1. Great grab and thanks for reminding me I need that card. for some reason I thought I had it until I saw your post and went looking for my copy

    This set is addictive, watch out!!

    ReplyDelete