Monday, August 24, 2015

LINDEN CARD(s) OF THE WEEK - Much More Mail

With the final days of summer upon us, I can't help but be slightly bummed that I didn't get out golfing more this year.  Hopefully I have one or two rounds left in me but I'm not holding my breath.  But with the clubs nearly put away for another year, I have jumped back into the card collecting realm with both feet.

There are a great number of Linden cards to be had these days.  A quick ebay search showcases a bunch of In The Game Used offerings....many at very low prices.  I guess oversaturation of the market does have its benefits.

But in addition there are some sweet UD Premier Mega Patches, Artifacts always rearing its ugly head, OPC with its (yawn) same ol' and the odd toughie from years past still hangin' around on my wantlist.

I've been able to knock off four over the past week and I'm really happy to do so.  Some great cards and some equally good prices.

2014/15 Upper Deck Artifacts
#31 Patch/Tag  /5

This would go down as the favourite in the bunch.  I love the solid 4 color patch that is evenly distributed in the window.  The tag....I've seen that old CCM logo somewhere before me thinks.  Patch one day....tag the next.

But what I really like about this card is the way I obtained it.

I first saw this card during the Chicago National a few weeks back.  It had been tweeted out by Sports Card Direct.  I had seen their logo before but never really gave it the time of day.

Until now.

I was mentioned to them by a mutual hobby board follower and we quickly started a dialogue regarding the card.  It had a price tag associated with the card....which wasn't overinflated by any means, it was just not in my wheelhouse at the time - especially with the horrible Canadian dollar.

Darren at SCD quickly came back with a "give mean offer you feel is fair".  I must say, I gotta love when I deal with people who have that attitude.

So I sent off my offer, along with a note saying that he would likely get more than that on the open market...it would be doubtful that I would be able to compete with the high bids (can't win 'em all).

Almost immediately, Darren responded....happily accepting my offer.  He felt it was fair and he knew that the card was going to a good home.

It was a really smooth transaction and I was thrilled when the card arrived.  It looks even better in person.  Thanks very much Darren.  I hope it's not the last time we do a deal for a sweet Linden card.

2014/15 Upper Deck Black Diamond
#129 Emerald Autograph  /10

The final piece of the 14/15 Black Diamond Puzzle (minus the 1/1) is this nice looking Emerald parallel.  I had seen a couple copies of this card come and go on ebay and I just couldn't go as high on the final prices as the winning bidders.  But that's ok.....patience pays off.

This one popped up one evening with a Buy It Now - at a very good price...less than the final prices of the other two auctions.  So I didn't hesitate.  I can only imagine what the seller must have thought when a card he uploaded literally seconds earlier was snatched up.

The sticker autograph doesn't really do much for me, but I can appreciate the parallel offerings that Black Diamond had in their product.  A regular base card, an Orange 'bonus pack' parallel, a Ruby /50 and this Emerald auto /10.  A good smattering that's not overwhelming.

2014/15 Leaf In The Game Used
#GU3J-16 Triple Jersey Gold  /20

Talk about overwhelming....Leaf's ITGU is one of the most robust products ever for Linden cards.  I think the count is over 35 now (as I've recently seen printing plates in the mix).  Way....WAY too many cards.

And a big beef with me is the triple memorabilia pieces.  Fine, put him on a line with Lindros and Sakic and fire off the parallels....but to then do the same set-up of cards with Modano and Hull just reeks of a company looking to dilute the market.  That, or they have way too much Linden material and they're looking to get rid of it.

If there is a benefit from this bombardment, it's that the prices are incredibly low.  And I've passed on a few of the great deals myself.  I guess low sometimes isn't low enough.

Cards /10 or /5 for well less than any other /10's or /5's ever - EVER in the Linden market.

I'll peg these off slowly and won't miss a beat if I never do finish off the thirty-whatever cards.  They don't do much for me.

2014/15 Leaf In The Game Used
#RM-TL2 Rare Materials  /5

This is one of the few cards from this product that did get me a little excited.  It's a nice looking card at first glance, but then I just realized it's just six windows with stuff in 'em.  No 'complete jersey' feel to it, no fight straps or distinguishing windows.  Just six small patch pieces.

Don't get me wrong, they're nice patches....but they lose their lustre pretty quick when there's really nothing to the concept of the card.

I mean....what's 'rare' about this material?

And I don't know about you, but the fact the photo used doesn't match the pieces in the windows does bug me a bit.  I thought we were past a time when it was THAT difficult to acquire a photo.

Speaking of the photo....what's that little bit of missed photoshopping on his chest?  Did they just say "aw, that's enough removal of the crest".  If you're going to paint out the logos....then do it right.

Geez.....makes it seem that I'm not too thrilled with these last couple cards.  And that's not the case....I'm just hyper-aware of the shortcomings that many cards have these days.  It really shouldn't take much to get these looking razor sharp.

But it's four off the list....and I'm ready for hockey season.

1 comment:

  1. You are very welcome Brett. I am glad the card arrived safely and you like it. Seems like a nice addition to your collection and if I have any more Lindens come my way I will be sure to send you a note.

    ReplyDelete