Monday, January 23, 2017

LINDEN CARD(s) OF THE WEEK - Jeans Day....s

After an enjoyable and relaxing holiday break, my mind was getting prepped back into work-mode.  I was running a few final errands a couple weeks back when all of the sudden my car broke.....for the final time.  My whole front tire kind of broke off - as in it was turned 90 degrees from how it should have been.  The axel, tire rod and who knows what else....all crapped out.

It wasn't worth fixing (as my vehicle was on its last legs) but I was really hoping to get another season out of the rust bucket.  Alas....no such luck.  So it was time to look for another vehicle.

Looking for a car when you don't have any mode of transportation is no fun.  It took me a couple weeks but I finally found a (more than) suitable replacement.  Now I can get back to the start of my year.

So let's begin by sharing some cards that have been sitting in my collection for a number of years.

Recently, on the hobby boards I am a member of, a fellow Linden collector asked about the Vancouver Canucks Jeans Day cards that are annually released.  He was excited to learn about them and wanted to know what ones Linden had.

So I got to scanning.  Let's take a look.

This is the 2006 Jeans Day card.  I remember when I first learned of these.  Part oddball, part team issue, all awesome.  A few were finding their way onto eBay and I wasn't super patient.....but I didn't pay an arm and a leg for my copy.

It's postcard-sized and has info on the back.  The cards are to help raise awareness (and funds) for the BC Children's Hospital so the back has info on that facility as well as some fun facts.

Fun fact: A newborn baby's heart is the size of a walnut.

They're a really great looking card and I was excited to see what would be coming in the years to come.

Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed to see this offering the following year.

Boooooooo on the same photo.  Weak.  But I guess there's only so many opportunities to get Linden skating in his jeans.

The card is the same size and other than the updated logo and color shift is pretty much the same as the previous year.

This 2008 Jeans Day card was was yet another nice offering.  Different picture....but same design.  But you know what...after three years I was ok with it.  It felt more like parallels as opposed to a new offering.  I like the trifecta I've built.

Then Linden had to go and retire.

No more Jeans Day cards......for a while.

Then in 2013 he was back.  The Jeans Day cards celebrated some of the all-time great captains in team history.  Linden, Henrik Sedin, Stan Smyl and Orland Kurtenbach were featured.

It was nice to see another Jeans Day offering.  This card is the traditional 2.5x3.5 in size so it sits nicely in with the others.  The postcards get shoved in with the oddball and oversized stuff.

So there you have it.  A blog post after a couple weeks of forced hiatus.

I've got a couple more posts lined up over the next few days as I haven't completely shoved the hobby away this month.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the death of your car; my car is turning 8 this year and I'm scared to death the wheel will just obliterate one day in the very near future. The fear the day when we have to replace it.

    Nice cards by the way, very interesting - pretty neat that they took the time to release these unique cards celebrating Jeans Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems strange, a player on the ice in jeans. They sure are some neat oddballs. Enjoy your new wheels.

    ReplyDelete