Sunday, April 11, 2010

OPINION: VALUE

I have heard or have read from a few people commenting on the "value" of their collection.....or should I say lack of value.

Disappointment over card prices dropping once they hit the secondary market. People angry that their "rock bottom" sale prices are being subjected to offers looking for a better deal. Cards that were purchased a few years ago no longer holding the prices they once held.

In my opinion, this is not a new thing. In my opinion, if you are going to "play the stock market" that is sportscards, you need to know that there will be ups and downs. Volatility is a part of the game.

And guess what - YOU don't get to dictate the prices. The market does.

Who plunked tons of money down on Lindros cards? Jagr, Daigle, the list goes on. Who had the foresight to see that Yzerman, Hull, this brand, that brand would skyrocket in desirability? Some of us? Sure. All of us? Nope.

Crystal balls in this industry don't exist. If they did, I'd have bottled them up long ago.

Value is a word that some people cling to a little too much.

For example, a card is worth only what someone will pay for it.

If I have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card and I slap a $100 price tag on it, if nobody buys it - it's not worth $100. I might completely disagree with that, but there is nothing I can do or say to change that.

What I find interesting is that people tend to look at the negative side of the equation.

I know that there are cards that I've taken a loss on (there have been a bunch actually), but there have also been a bunch of great deals that I have been able to find. I wouldn't say it has balanced out, but it's not as grim as I think some people make things out to be.

If you are constantly getting shafted by resale prices on your cards, I would suggest that you get out of the hobby - clearly you're not in it to collect.

Value is a very subjective word. There is no book that dictates value (there are guides, but it's the individual's choice to use that guide or not). Value can often not even involve a dollar amount. There are cards in my collection that I value a great deal (and yet I only plunked down a dollar or two to get it).

Am I frustrated by value - sometimes. I'm not a big fan of getting $5 on a $50 card, but I know that doesn't happen everyday. I also know that eventually I'll find that $50 card for $5.

This hobby can provide the ups and downs of a roller coaster. If you aren't strapped in and ready for the ride, it can be pretty uncomfortable.

Know as much as you can before you get in and be mindful of your surroundings and the ride can be one of the best experiences out there.

Make sure you're getting enjoyment for your dollar. Now THAT'S value!

4 comments:

  1. I always wonder what events have taken place causing a blogger to write posts like these. I have done it myself and it is always interesting to see what the catalyst was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it's one of two things mostly.

    Either I am involved in a conversation at a card show with someone (or I hear a conversation about a topic) or a post is made on one of the hobby boards that trigger the thought.

    In a some instances, like the PWE one, it is personal experience that drives the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. The true value comes with the enjoyment you get from the cards. I've had 10 times more fun busting boxes of low-end cards with my son that scoring any elusive 1/1 or an autographed quad memorabilia card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talking about enjoyment from cards, does anyone else feel its ridiculous to own a card with piece of fabric, stick or whatever, and keep it under protection so that you cannot even feel it. Like not wearing your cool brand new sneakers because the could get dirty.

    ReplyDelete