Wednesday, November 6, 2013

OPINION - Local Card Shows (Big Ones)

I love going to card shows.  I've said it before that I feel very fortunate that I am able to go to a local show once a month during the fall/winter months.  It's a chance to get out, window shop, touch  base with other collectors, talk shop and on occasion pick up a sweet pc item.

But while the small monthly shows are fun, they are just that - small.

It's been over two years since I've seen a bigger show come through town.  Not sure exactly why?  There are two very successful promotions that have put on shows in the province recently...just not in Calgary, and nothing this year or last.

I've been fortunate enough to make it out to the Toronto Expo a couple times in the past couple years and while it is a bit overwhelming at times - it's a ton of fun.  Why can't we have something like this here?

Well....it's going to happen.  In just a few weeks.

Shameless plug: I designed the poster.

A couple people decided to quit waiting and start acting.  They've put the pieces together to what hopefully will be at very least an annual event.

The Card Show will hopefully have 40-50 tables set up, door prizes, autograph guests and more.

Yeah....autograph guests.  And what a group.  Three guys from the Stanley Cup winning Flames team of 1989.  Jim Peplinski, Joel Otto and Tim Hunter.  I've got a cool story about Tim Hunter that I'll share leading up to the show.

What excites me the most in talking about (and listen to people talk about) this show is that it really feels like a throwback show.  Something I haven't seen the likes of in a number of years.

Spending a day reliving some great Calgary memories, looking at some great Calgary memorabilia and just enjoying a "slice of Calgaryana".

As a hobbyist, I feel it's important to support these shows (especially if they can prove there's some worth to them).  Because without people coming out to these shows - these shows just won't exist.

So if you live in Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan, heck Canada, Northern US, c'mon out on Nov. 23 & 24 to what should be the best card show to hit the city in quite some time.

I've already got my calendar marked.

4 comments:

  1. Calgaryana?????? Dude... I live here and don't know what that is....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I. But I'm going to find out in a couple weeks.

      Delete
  2. Sounds pretty awesome. I totally miss the feeling that card shows had in the 80's and 90's. The ones held at schools and small hotels with fathers and sons selling and trading their doubles. The ones with free autograph guests and dealers with stacks of 1990/91 Upper Deck Pat Falloon rookies.

    Have fun! And great job on that poster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kudos for supporting your local show. wish we had some NHL alumni signings. Enjoy !

    ReplyDelete