Saturday, October 15, 2022

PARKIE PROJECT - Two More From The Show

It was a big day today....card show day.

And it's been a big week this week....started a new job.

After 13 1/2 years at my previous workplace, I decided it was time to make a change. The workload had become too much for these shoulders to carry and a wonderful opportunity had presented itself. It's been an amazing week getting to learn new things and feeling like the weight of expectations and tasks just melted away. I'm very excited about what the next chapter of my working life will consist of.

Now, back to the card show. 

It was the city's big show which happens every six months. I always go with little expectation on finding Linden items (but you never know unless you dig), but I approach the day with great enthusiasm as it's a chance to just "be me" in a true hobby environment.

I did dig...but alas, no Lindens. That's ok...I did find a couple pieces of cardboard that cut down a checklist a little more.

My Parkie collection grew by two cards today.

It's been a good last 12 months for my 51/52 Parkhurst collection. I've managed to add a whopping five cards. FIVE! Ok, it's not that impressive...but it's definitely more than I would have guessed a year ago.

1951/52 Parkhurst
#45 Fred Hucul RC

Fred "Stoneface" Hucul holds the distinction of having the longest gap between NHL appearances in the history of the game (not counting goalies). He went 13 seasons without seeing NHL ice...wrapping up his Chicago stint in 1954 and making his St. Louis debut in 1967 after being picked in the expansion draft when the Blues entered the league.

Hucul played a total of 162 games in the NHL and actually spent the bulk of his career in my hometown of Calgary (with the Stampeders of the WHL).

This card fits my collection perfectly. Not terribly off-center, no creases or marks on the front or back, and yes, there are rounded corners...but not in a "wow, that's ugly" kind of way. I've always said that if I'm going to ever complete this set, it's going to be in this type of condition.

A fair price on the card, probably a little more than I've spent on average. But I've not bought a ton of cards this year and I just decided to strike when I had the chance. I also think that cards in general are getting a little more expensive - the past two years have seen a rise in prices. I need to get used to that.

1951/52 Parkhurst
#97 Nick Mickoski RC

I feel like every card from this set is a rookie card..ha ha. 

Nick's career lasted 13 seasons and he played for four of the six Original Six teams over 703 games. He was an All-Star in 1956 and is an honoured member of the Manitoba Hockey Hall Of Fame and was posthumously inducted into the Manitoba Sports Hall Of Fame in 2004.

In the 2009 book '100 Ranger Greats', he was ranked #77 all-time of the 901 New York Rangers who played in the team's first 82 seasons of existence.

What I like about this card is that it's a little more centered, the corners are a lot crisper (yes...still rounded) and so it cost me a little more $$$. 

It also cost a little more cash because of this...


Don't hate me because I cracked a 70-year-old card out of it's PSA case...especially when it graded 3.5.

It had to be done. There's just no way I would have wanted this card in my collection in its slab. I'm building an ungraded set...those are my rules.

Did I cringe as I cracked open the slab? Not really...it's not the first time I've done it for this set. 

I'm really pleased with the two that I snagged from the show today. Gets me just a little closer to the end goal.

One day.


Current Collection - 28 cards

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job! As for cracking that card out of its slab... no hate here. I would have kept it in a slab, but that's how I roll. Each of us collect by our own guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I appreciate the comment. Your last sentence resonates with me and I couldn’t agree more. Cheers!

      Delete