Saturday, January 21, 2023

BEHIND THE MASKS - Some "Finally" Cards

Very exciting week in terms of sportscards...my COMC order arrived.

I've unexpectedly started the habit of leaving my purchases until their Black Friday special to ship. A couple years ago...it took the better part of 7 months to ship. This time, about 45 days. Makes for a nice new year gift.

I managed to pick up a number of cards for various PCs. I also caved. I pulled the trigger on a few cards that have been on my watchlist for years...finally deciding to cross these cards off the list for the prices they were set at. Wasn't terribly overpriced, but would've liked to land a couple a little cheaper.

But let's check out what I snagged in terms of mask cards...

2010/11 In The Game Between The Pipes
Inspired Masks
#IM-04 Antero Niittymaki

This one was probably the longest on the COMC wantlist. I've seen it dangle for years. But the price never dropped below $19us. I finally bit.

This is a tough insert set from the 10/11 season. Artist renderings of some pretty sweet masks. This pickup leaves me with just one to go to complete the 13-card set. I need one of the Carey Price cards. 

Haven't seen one surface in a number of years. Now, that said, I don't do daily searches for these cards like I do my Linden collection. But I've always said...it's not a race. I'll track it down eventually.

I really like Nitty's gangster-inspired mask. A very worthy addition to the set.

1998/99 Pacific Dynagon Ice
Ice Watchmen
#2 Patrick Roy

From one of the oldest mask sets I'm still working on (well.....not anymore), this 25-year-old offering finally hits the PC. 

This 10-card set boasted some of the best goalies of the era. This Patrick Roy piece was likely the most coveted - and most expensive. Again, I finally caved and hit the 'buy' button.

As for the mask design, I'm partial to his Habs design...a little more iconic in my eyes. But his Avs creation is one that holds some high stature for the time.

Pumped to finish off this set.

2008/09 In The Game Between The Pipes
Masked Men
#MM-03 Carey Price

Another mask card from a set that has been lingering for a very long time. Interesting note one this one...I already own a copy of the card. I guess I picked it up at some point but never update my checklist.

Sadly, Carey Price cards don't get the kind of hobby love they once did. But that's ok. Not the first time I've made a duplicate purchase (see my Linden pickups during the holidays) and it won't be the last.

Price has had so many iterations of his his lid through the years that I barely remember this one from early in his career.

Three mask cards that were a definite highlight from my most recent COMC shipment. Did you have any COMC cards come in during the last few weeks? How long do you hold off before pulling the trigger on having cards sent?

2 comments:

  1. A. Congratulations on landing those three mask inserts. I've always liked them... especially when they are fairly tough pulls.

    B. I requested shipment on 12/30 and received an email from COMC on Friday that the cards were shipped. I'm hoping they arrive early next week. As far as holding off on shipment, it kind of depends. I requested this past shipment because I thought I was going to take a break from COMC for several months and wanted to get it out of the way. But about a week and a half ago I found a Gwynn I needed, so I added more funds to my account. Since then I've bought a few more cards. Probably won't request shipment again until the end of the school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less than a week after I requested shipment….another card popped up that I put in the cart. It’ll be a good year or so before I see it. 😂

      Delete