Saturday, February 4, 2023

LINDEN CARD(s) OF THE WEEK - You Guessed It....COMC

Still a number of items from my COMC purchase that I've yet to properly organize. And that's OK...I'm not in a rush these days. Picking up Linden cards is not the weekly (or sometimes monthly) accomplishment that once was. Although he is in a few new products (Artifacts, SP Game Used, Ultimate Collection), I've been reluctant to snap up the cards. The price is just a little higher than I'd like when these "first waves" hit. I've learned how to bide my time.

So it'll come as no surprise that a couple of these latest pickups are from older sets. I feel like there are times when I set a price on a card and am stubborn in patience to get it at that price...or hopefully lower.

2004/05 Upper Deck
#172 High Gloss Silver  /10

Starting off with a bang...this card was a real catch off of COMC. It actually showed up for me as an ebay auction, but I then noticed that it was connected to COMC (so the shipping costs would be far more favourable). 

For a card that has been almost a 20 year search for me, the price I was willing to pay was a little more than what it would've been a decade or so ago. These copies just don't show up hardly ever. As you can guess, it's really nice to knock this one off the list.

Side note on this one...I really like the photograph. A great looking faceoff shot certainly beats the "I'm cruising the neutral zone waiting for a line change". This card always sticks out when I sift through my mid-2000s Linden cards.

2020/21 Upper Deck Black Diamond
#SB-TL Silver On Black Signatures Spectrum  /25

Another nice, rare offering from COMC. If a card can't be hard signed, these cut autos are the next best thing (vs. stickers). I really like the way they sit in the card - most times. This one is a little off-center, but I'll take it. It was a good price for a card numbered to just 25.

Linden has had his fair share of cards over the past few years. I love that he is still included in products as I really enjoy seeing him on new designs. He recently cracked the 2500+ point on my master checklist. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought he'd have so many cards.

2014/15 O-Pee-Chee
#563 Marquee Legends Rainbow

If there was one card that exemplified patience, it would be this one. Almost a decade old, this piece of cardboard finally finds its slot in my collection. Why so long? You guessed it, I refused to pay a high price for it.

Now, that said, I'm a little bummed that I was never able to track a copy down locally. These rainbow cards weren't super rare and I did see a bundle at the shows over the years, but never the Linden. If I had, I knew it would be a dollar card at most.

I never considered purchasing it off ebay...the shipping alone would end up being more than I'd be willing to pay. A copy finally showed up on COMC with a fair price (still more than I'd pay if I found a copy in-person) so I can live with it.

I'll laugh every single time I look at this card. It is engrained in my brain that some items are just a no go at a certain price. I'm ok with that.


Do you have price limits set for certain cards on your wantlist? How do you justify where your "top price" lands?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on landing some long awaited Lindens. Pretty cool that he has over 2,500 cards for collectors to collect.

    I definitely set price limits. As for "top price"... it's usually based on how rare the item is and whether or not I'm patient enough to wait until another copy pops up.

    ReplyDelete